Blog: Small step for vodka but Cognac wins the space race
Andy Morton | 24 February 2014
La Martiniquaise-Bardinet's vodka brand Poliakov has today (24 February) claimed a first with the news that it has launched a bottle into space.
As far as marketing tactics go, the footage of the bottle rising into the stratosphere is fairly impressive, though strikingly similar to that of other amateur YouTube space launches that have seen action figures, and even a slice of pizza, venture into the great unknown.
Until now, vodka has had a limited relationship with space - a surprise, given its connections with Russia. Even though Russian cosmonauts are allowed the odd tipple (unlike their tee-total American peers), they've traditionally stuck to Cognac rather than vodka. In fact, according to this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph, crew on the Mir space station would have so much alcohol squirrelled away that it would float around the vessel unimpeded.
"Sometimes we would bump into a bottle of Cognac," one said. "What a joy it was."
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
just-drinks presents this seven-part review of the Scotch whisky category. In part two, we consider the sector's performance on a by-market basis....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
just-drinks presents this seven-part review of the Scotch whisky category. In part three, we look at what the future trends will be for the sector....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
just-drinks presents this seven-part review of the Scotch whisky category. In part four, we turn our attention to the major Scotch brands....
Jim Cramer, the excitable host of stock-picker programme Mad Money on CNBC, turned his attention on US brewers last week, attempting to forecast which has the most potential for investors....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Alcohol and the risk of breast cancer - ISFAR
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- SABMiller issues currency alert as Africa weakens
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)