Blog: Small step for vodka but Cognac wins the space race
Andy Morton | 24 February 2014
La Martiniquaise-Bardinet's vodka brand Poliakov has today (24 February) claimed a first with the news that it has launched a bottle into space.
As far as marketing tactics go, the footage of the bottle rising into the stratosphere is fairly impressive, though strikingly similar to that of other amateur YouTube space launches that have seen action figures, and even a slice of pizza, venture into the great unknown.
Until now, vodka has had a limited relationship with space - a surprise, given its connections with Russia. Even though Russian cosmonauts are allowed the odd tipple (unlike their tee-total American peers), they've traditionally stuck to Cognac rather than vodka. In fact, according to this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph, crew on the Mir space station would have so much alcohol squirrelled away that it would float around the vessel unimpeded.
"Sometimes we would bump into a bottle of Cognac," one said. "What a joy it was."
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
William Grant & Sons has reported rising full-year sales and profits as it continues to move away from distributing third-party brands....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Pernod Ricard's US unit has announced the latest permanent addition to its Kahlua portfolio. Chili Chocolate is said to blend rich chocolate with hot chili. ...
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends