Blog: Small step for vodka but Cognac wins the space race
Andy Morton | 24 February 2014
La Martiniquaise-Bardinet's vodka brand Poliakov has today (24 February) claimed a first with the news that it has launched a bottle into space.
As far as marketing tactics go, the footage of the bottle rising into the stratosphere is fairly impressive, though strikingly similar to that of other amateur YouTube space launches that have seen action figures, and even a slice of pizza, venture into the great unknown.
Until now, vodka has had a limited relationship with space - a surprise, given its connections with Russia. Even though Russian cosmonauts are allowed the odd tipple (unlike their tee-total American peers), they've traditionally stuck to Cognac rather than vodka. In fact, according to this article in the UK's Daily Telegraph, crew on the Mir space station would have so much alcohol squirrelled away that it would float around the vessel unimpeded.
"Sometimes we would bump into a bottle of Cognac," one said. "What a joy it was."
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
Almost two-thirds of US states have now banned powdered alcohol, as California moves closer to its own prohibition....
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India