Blog: Small measures required as Philadelphia soda tax adds up
Andy Morton | 4 January 2017
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles.
The tax is supposed to be carried by distributors, but they of course are passing it on to consumers. This week, local media reported consternation as some retailers chose to highlight on till receipts just how much the duty was adding to soft drinks purchases.
This meant one customer found he was paying a US$1.92 soda tax on a gallon of tea that cost just $1.77 untaxed. Elsewhere, a $5.99 ten-pack of flavoured water was hit with a $3.04 tax.
The soda tax, which was passed in June, is only $0.15 per ounce but it looks like the cost can add up when buying in bulk. Packaging sizes in soft drinks are already decreasing as producers cut back on calories, but if soda taxes become more widespread in the US, bottles and cans may get smaller still.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets