Blog: Small measures required as Philadelphia soda tax adds up
Andy Morton | 4 January 2017
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles.
The tax is supposed to be carried by distributors, but they of course are passing it on to consumers. This week, local media reported consternation as some retailers chose to highlight on till receipts just how much the duty was adding to soft drinks purchases.
This meant one customer found he was paying a US$1.92 soda tax on a gallon of tea that cost just $1.77 untaxed. Elsewhere, a $5.99 ten-pack of flavoured water was hit with a $3.04 tax.
The soda tax, which was passed in June, is only $0.15 per ounce but it looks like the cost can add up when buying in bulk. Packaging sizes in soft drinks are already decreasing as producers cut back on calories, but if soda taxes become more widespread in the US, bottles and cans may get smaller still.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Earlier this week, Coca-Cola HBC issued its results for 2016. The group saw its 12-month sales rise by 3% on an organic basis, with net profits leaping by over 20%. Here, just-drinks breaks down Coca-...
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends