Blog: She's drinking WHAT?!
Olly Wehring | 12 January 2006
Stay off the Stella and stick with Stoli – that seems to be the message from style gurus in the UK.
A new survey from liqueur brand De Kuyper has found that, when on a date, two-thirds of the UK population will make a judgement about their companion for the evening based on what they choose at the bar.
And that’s not all; a majority of these people (62%) are also prepared to raise a glass of something they wouldn’t normally drink simply to impress. Cocktails (38%) and a glass of fine wine (39%) come out top as the drinks to be seen with; it’s probably safe to assume that a pint of bitter or a Babycham didn’t figure too highly.
So, you’re on a date and what your companion drinks is just as an important factor in whether things progress as physical attraction or - God forbid - something as inconsequential as someone’s personality.
Shallow and small minded? I’d say so. But maybe I’m wrong because, according to (it gets worse) the country’s relationship psychologists, you are what you drink.
“It’s not only your clothes or hairstyle that give out clues about what kind of person you are,” says relationship shrink Mo Shapiro. “Your choice of drink is also a comment about your personality.” Thanks Mo. I like Guinness, so what does that make me?
And, tragically, it seems that some are using clothes and hairstyle in conjunction with the drink they choose. The survey goes on to say that more people in London than anywhere else in the UK match the cocktail they drink to an outfit they wear.
I ask you.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends