Blog: She's drinking WHAT?!
Olly Wehring | 12 January 2006
Stay off the Stella and stick with Stoli – that seems to be the message from style gurus in the UK.
A new survey from liqueur brand De Kuyper has found that, when on a date, two-thirds of the UK population will make a judgement about their companion for the evening based on what they choose at the bar.
And that’s not all; a majority of these people (62%) are also prepared to raise a glass of something they wouldn’t normally drink simply to impress. Cocktails (38%) and a glass of fine wine (39%) come out top as the drinks to be seen with; it’s probably safe to assume that a pint of bitter or a Babycham didn’t figure too highly.
So, you’re on a date and what your companion drinks is just as an important factor in whether things progress as physical attraction or - God forbid - something as inconsequential as someone’s personality.
Shallow and small minded? I’d say so. But maybe I’m wrong because, according to (it gets worse) the country’s relationship psychologists, you are what you drink.
“It’s not only your clothes or hairstyle that give out clues about what kind of person you are,” says relationship shrink Mo Shapiro. “Your choice of drink is also a comment about your personality.” Thanks Mo. I like Guinness, so what does that make me?
And, tragically, it seems that some are using clothes and hairstyle in conjunction with the drink they choose. The survey goes on to say that more people in London than anywhere else in the UK match the cocktail they drink to an outfit they wear.
I ask you.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Poland warning sends Stock Spirits shares tumbling
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts