Blog: Shampanskoye - when east heads west
Olly Wehring | 8 March 2007
Honestly, it’s a miracle that I’ve managed to get any sleep this week. If it’s not sake tastings, it’s launches of soft drinks reports. All in a day’s/night’s work, I guess.
Yesterday evening was no exception to the whirlwind of fun that is my life – to Pushkin House in London’s Bloomsbury Square for the UK launch of Sparkling 1917, a sparkling wine – or Sovetskoye Shampanskoye as it’s locally known – made in Belarus with wine from Moldova.
Being as well-travelled as I am, I’ve spent a fair bit of time in Eastern Europe, in particular in Russia, where Sovetskoye Shampanskoye got its name. This Soviet Champagne has fallen from grace somewhat across the former Soviet states, quite possibly because those that drink fizz over there can now afford the real McCoy from the Champenoise.
Which makes the UK launch of Sparkling 1917, which retails at around GBP10 (US$19.30) a bottle, all the more intriguing. In as price-obsessed a market as the UK, what’s not to say that these guys have a sleeping giant on their hands.
Target #1, though, is getting people to try the stuff (my one-word review? More-ish). The best of British to you gents, or should that be the best of Belarussian?
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research