Blog: Shampanskoye - when east heads west
Olly Wehring | 8 March 2007
Honestly, it’s a miracle that I’ve managed to get any sleep this week. If it’s not sake tastings, it’s launches of soft drinks reports. All in a day’s/night’s work, I guess.
Yesterday evening was no exception to the whirlwind of fun that is my life – to Pushkin House in London’s Bloomsbury Square for the UK launch of Sparkling 1917, a sparkling wine – or Sovetskoye Shampanskoye as it’s locally known – made in Belarus with wine from Moldova.
Being as well-travelled as I am, I’ve spent a fair bit of time in Eastern Europe, in particular in Russia, where Sovetskoye Shampanskoye got its name. This Soviet Champagne has fallen from grace somewhat across the former Soviet states, quite possibly because those that drink fizz over there can now afford the real McCoy from the Champenoise.
Which makes the UK launch of Sparkling 1917, which retails at around GBP10 (US$19.30) a bottle, all the more intriguing. In as price-obsessed a market as the UK, what’s not to say that these guys have a sleeping giant on their hands.
Target #1, though, is getting people to try the stuff (my one-word review? More-ish). The best of British to you gents, or should that be the best of Belarussian?
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends