Blog: Shampanskoye - when east heads west
Olly Wehring | 8 March 2007
Honestly, it’s a miracle that I’ve managed to get any sleep this week. If it’s not sake tastings, it’s launches of soft drinks reports. All in a day’s/night’s work, I guess.
Yesterday evening was no exception to the whirlwind of fun that is my life – to Pushkin House in London’s Bloomsbury Square for the UK launch of Sparkling 1917, a sparkling wine – or Sovetskoye Shampanskoye as it’s locally known – made in Belarus with wine from Moldova.
Being as well-travelled as I am, I’ve spent a fair bit of time in Eastern Europe, in particular in Russia, where Sovetskoye Shampanskoye got its name. This Soviet Champagne has fallen from grace somewhat across the former Soviet states, quite possibly because those that drink fizz over there can now afford the real McCoy from the Champenoise.
Which makes the UK launch of Sparkling 1917, which retails at around GBP10 (US$19.30) a bottle, all the more intriguing. In as price-obsessed a market as the UK, what’s not to say that these guys have a sleeping giant on their hands.
Target #1, though, is getting people to try the stuff (my one-word review? More-ish). The best of British to you gents, or should that be the best of Belarussian?
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends