Blog: Shampanskoye - when east heads west
Olly Wehring | 8 March 2007
Honestly, it’s a miracle that I’ve managed to get any sleep this week. If it’s not sake tastings, it’s launches of soft drinks reports. All in a day’s/night’s work, I guess.
Yesterday evening was no exception to the whirlwind of fun that is my life – to Pushkin House in London’s Bloomsbury Square for the UK launch of Sparkling 1917, a sparkling wine – or Sovetskoye Shampanskoye as it’s locally known – made in Belarus with wine from Moldova.
Being as well-travelled as I am, I’ve spent a fair bit of time in Eastern Europe, in particular in Russia, where Sovetskoye Shampanskoye got its name. This Soviet Champagne has fallen from grace somewhat across the former Soviet states, quite possibly because those that drink fizz over there can now afford the real McCoy from the Champenoise.
Which makes the UK launch of Sparkling 1917, which retails at around GBP10 (US$19.30) a bottle, all the more intriguing. In as price-obsessed a market as the UK, what’s not to say that these guys have a sleeping giant on their hands.
Target #1, though, is getting people to try the stuff (my one-word review? More-ish). The best of British to you gents, or should that be the best of Belarussian?
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Sustainability in Wine - Part IV
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Gruppo Campari US unit head steps down
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018