Blog: Shall I open a bottle of wine, darling?
Chris Brook-Carter | 24 November 2004
The world’s largest bottle of wine (4.5’ tall, 4.5’ around and 340 pounds) was sold to a Northern New Jersey wine store for US$56,000 in an auction of fine and rare wines held at Sotheby’s in New York last weekend.
The mammoth bottle, dubbed Maximus and certified as the world’s largest wine bottle by the Guinness Book of World Records, was created by Morton’s, The Steakhouse in partnership with Beringer Vineyards to celebrate the restaurant group’s 25th anniversary.
Maximus is filled with the equivalent of 173 standard bottles, or 1,200 glasses, of Beringer Vineyards 2001 Private Reserve Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
The bottle was sold to Wine Ventures, a fine wines and chocolate store in Tenafly, New Jersey. The price included a 17.5% buyer’s premium paid to Sotheby's. Morton's is donating the hammer price of $47,500 to Share Our Strength, one of the nation's leading hunger-fighting organisations.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020