Blog: Shall I open a bottle of wine, darling?
Chris Brook-Carter | 24 November 2004
The world’s largest bottle of wine (4.5’ tall, 4.5’ around and 340 pounds) was sold to a Northern New Jersey wine store for US$56,000 in an auction of fine and rare wines held at Sotheby’s in New York last weekend.
The mammoth bottle, dubbed Maximus and certified as the world’s largest wine bottle by the Guinness Book of World Records, was created by Morton’s, The Steakhouse in partnership with Beringer Vineyards to celebrate the restaurant group’s 25th anniversary.
Maximus is filled with the equivalent of 173 standard bottles, or 1,200 glasses, of Beringer Vineyards 2001 Private Reserve Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
The bottle was sold to Wine Ventures, a fine wines and chocolate store in Tenafly, New Jersey. The price included a 17.5% buyer’s premium paid to Sotheby's. Morton's is donating the hammer price of $47,500 to Share Our Strength, one of the nation's leading hunger-fighting organisations.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits