Blog: Shall I open a bottle of wine, darling?
Chris Brook-Carter | 24 November 2004
The world’s largest bottle of wine (4.5’ tall, 4.5’ around and 340 pounds) was sold to a Northern New Jersey wine store for US$56,000 in an auction of fine and rare wines held at Sotheby’s in New York last weekend.
The mammoth bottle, dubbed Maximus and certified as the world’s largest wine bottle by the Guinness Book of World Records, was created by Morton’s, The Steakhouse in partnership with Beringer Vineyards to celebrate the restaurant group’s 25th anniversary.
Maximus is filled with the equivalent of 173 standard bottles, or 1,200 glasses, of Beringer Vineyards 2001 Private Reserve Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
The bottle was sold to Wine Ventures, a fine wines and chocolate store in Tenafly, New Jersey. The price included a 17.5% buyer’s premium paid to Sotheby's. Morton's is donating the hammer price of $47,500 to Share Our Strength, one of the nation's leading hunger-fighting organisations.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends