Blog: Shall I open a bottle of wine, darling?
Chris Brook-Carter | 24 November 2004
The world’s largest bottle of wine (4.5’ tall, 4.5’ around and 340 pounds) was sold to a Northern New Jersey wine store for US$56,000 in an auction of fine and rare wines held at Sotheby’s in New York last weekend.
The mammoth bottle, dubbed Maximus and certified as the world’s largest wine bottle by the Guinness Book of World Records, was created by Morton’s, The Steakhouse in partnership with Beringer Vineyards to celebrate the restaurant group’s 25th anniversary.
Maximus is filled with the equivalent of 173 standard bottles, or 1,200 glasses, of Beringer Vineyards 2001 Private Reserve Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
The bottle was sold to Wine Ventures, a fine wines and chocolate store in Tenafly, New Jersey. The price included a 17.5% buyer’s premium paid to Sotheby's. Morton's is donating the hammer price of $47,500 to Share Our Strength, one of the nation's leading hunger-fighting organisations.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends