Blog: Sex on the menu
Chris Brook-Carter | 14 July 2004
Subtlety is definitely off the menu with this one. Brands Unlimited has just launched a drink in the UK called Energy 69, which is being marketed as an over-the-counter, libido-enhancing soft drink.
Already available in the US, where it was an official sponsor of San Francisco Pride, it claims to include ingredients that have been used for thousands of years as aphrodisiacs, erectile enhancers and energy boosters.
Had this been an alcoholic drink, it is ineluctable that it would not have been allowed on to the market. However, it’s not - it’s a soft drink. That said, it is being pushed as a mixer for cocktails and sprits.
Now I am no prude, but as the drinks industry battles hard to clean up its marketing image, one has to wonder how responsible this is. Sex and alcohol is simply not a mix looked upon favourably at present. With bars and clubs under careful scrutiny from authorities, it will take a brave bar-owner to push this drink.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future