Blog: Sex on the menu
Chris Brook-Carter | 14 July 2004
Subtlety is definitely off the menu with this one. Brands Unlimited has just launched a drink in the UK called Energy 69, which is being marketed as an over-the-counter, libido-enhancing soft drink.
Already available in the US, where it was an official sponsor of San Francisco Pride, it claims to include ingredients that have been used for thousands of years as aphrodisiacs, erectile enhancers and energy boosters.
Had this been an alcoholic drink, it is ineluctable that it would not have been allowed on to the market. However, it’s not - it’s a soft drink. That said, it is being pushed as a mixer for cocktails and sprits.
Now I am no prude, but as the drinks industry battles hard to clean up its marketing image, one has to wonder how responsible this is. Sex and alcohol is simply not a mix looked upon favourably at present. With bars and clubs under careful scrutiny from authorities, it will take a brave bar-owner to push this drink.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China