Blog: Sex on the menu
Chris Brook-Carter | 14 July 2004
Subtlety is definitely off the menu with this one. Brands Unlimited has just launched a drink in the UK called Energy 69, which is being marketed as an over-the-counter, libido-enhancing soft drink.
Already available in the US, where it was an official sponsor of San Francisco Pride, it claims to include ingredients that have been used for thousands of years as aphrodisiacs, erectile enhancers and energy boosters.
Had this been an alcoholic drink, it is ineluctable that it would not have been allowed on to the market. However, it’s not - it’s a soft drink. That said, it is being pushed as a mixer for cocktails and sprits.
Now I am no prude, but as the drinks industry battles hard to clean up its marketing image, one has to wonder how responsible this is. Sex and alcohol is simply not a mix looked upon favourably at present. With bars and clubs under careful scrutiny from authorities, it will take a brave bar-owner to push this drink.
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research