Blog: Sex on the menu
Chris Brook-Carter | 14 July 2004
Subtlety is definitely off the menu with this one. Brands Unlimited has just launched a drink in the UK called Energy 69, which is being marketed as an over-the-counter, libido-enhancing soft drink.
Already available in the US, where it was an official sponsor of San Francisco Pride, it claims to include ingredients that have been used for thousands of years as aphrodisiacs, erectile enhancers and energy boosters.
Had this been an alcoholic drink, it is ineluctable that it would not have been allowed on to the market. However, it’s not - it’s a soft drink. That said, it is being pushed as a mixer for cocktails and sprits.
Now I am no prude, but as the drinks industry battles hard to clean up its marketing image, one has to wonder how responsible this is. Sex and alcohol is simply not a mix looked upon favourably at present. With bars and clubs under careful scrutiny from authorities, it will take a brave bar-owner to push this drink.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers has stepped up a notch after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water” this week....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014