Blog: Sex on the menu
Chris Brook-Carter | 14 July 2004
Subtlety is definitely off the menu with this one. Brands Unlimited has just launched a drink in the UK called Energy 69, which is being marketed as an over-the-counter, libido-enhancing soft drink.
Already available in the US, where it was an official sponsor of San Francisco Pride, it claims to include ingredients that have been used for thousands of years as aphrodisiacs, erectile enhancers and energy boosters.
Had this been an alcoholic drink, it is ineluctable that it would not have been allowed on to the market. However, it’s not - it’s a soft drink. That said, it is being pushed as a mixer for cocktails and sprits.
Now I am no prude, but as the drinks industry battles hard to clean up its marketing image, one has to wonder how responsible this is. Sex and alcohol is simply not a mix looked upon favourably at present. With bars and clubs under careful scrutiny from authorities, it will take a brave bar-owner to push this drink.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends