Blog: Season of goodwill? Not if you're the UK health lobby
James Wilmore | 15 December 2014
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different.
But drinks firms will be particularly disappointed at one of Alcohol Concern's latest missives, which carries the headline: "Alcohol industry 'can’t be trusted' to promote moderate drinking". The charity's press release points to three examples - involving Diageo, Carlsberg and SABMiller - where they accuse the companies of going against their stated objective of promoting moderate consumption. You can get all the details here.
“Given the obvious conflict between the alcohol industry’s need to sell more alcohol and the need to promote moderate drinking, alcohol producers should have no role in drawing up information or policy on safe drinking,” says Alcohol Concern's director, Andrew Misell. Of course, this is a thinly-veiled reference to the government's Public Health Responsibility Deal, which large sections of the health lobby are not happy with.
It appears that the plea of Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, for the health lobby to drop their mistrust of the industy has fallen on deaf ears. And the amount the accused companies invest in groups like Drinkaware and the Portman Group seems to have escaped Alcohol Concern's notice.
In the battle that rages between the UK health lobby and drinks industry, perhaps inevitably, the season of goodwill to all men concept is being ignored.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends