Blog: Scottish & Newcastle - fare thee well
Olly Wehring | 31 March 2008
And so, we bid adieu to Scottish & Newcastle. The UK-based brewer's shareholders have today (31 March) backed Carlsberg and Heineken's takeover bid. marking the end, not only of the protracted acquisition battle, but also of the UK's largest brewer and one of Scotland's oldest independent companies.
While it's likely that only the names will change and the faces stay the same, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the folk at S&N that I've had contact with in the last four years. Indeed, one of my first interview assignments since joining just-drinks in 2003 was with Tony Froggatt, then CEO at the brewer, so I've always followed the goings-on at the company with great interest.
All of us here at just-drinks wish all of you there at S&N all the best for the future.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends