Blog: Scottish & Newcastle - fare thee well
Olly Wehring | 31 March 2008
And so, we bid adieu to Scottish & Newcastle. The UK-based brewer's shareholders have today (31 March) backed Carlsberg and Heineken's takeover bid. marking the end, not only of the protracted acquisition battle, but also of the UK's largest brewer and one of Scotland's oldest independent companies.
While it's likely that only the names will change and the faces stay the same, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the folk at S&N that I've had contact with in the last four years. Indeed, one of my first interview assignments since joining just-drinks in 2003 was with Tony Froggatt, then CEO at the brewer, so I've always followed the goings-on at the company with great interest.
All of us here at just-drinks wish all of you there at S&N all the best for the future.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends