Blog: Scottish & Newcastle - fare thee well
Olly Wehring | 31 March 2008
And so, we bid adieu to Scottish & Newcastle. The UK-based brewer's shareholders have today (31 March) backed Carlsberg and Heineken's takeover bid. marking the end, not only of the protracted acquisition battle, but also of the UK's largest brewer and one of Scotland's oldest independent companies.
While it's likely that only the names will change and the faces stay the same, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the folk at S&N that I've had contact with in the last four years. Indeed, one of my first interview assignments since joining just-drinks in 2003 was with Tony Froggatt, then CEO at the brewer, so I've always followed the goings-on at the company with great interest.
All of us here at just-drinks wish all of you there at S&N all the best for the future.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Altria raises Anheuser-Busch InBev holding
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends