Blog: Scotland's Getting Silly
Olly Wehring | 15 September 2010
We've been pretty thorough in our monitoring of the twists and turns within Scottish politics of late, as the people's elected representatives have talked and talked and talked about how to deal with the country's relationship with alcohol.
The latest twist, however, has had me rolling my eyes for most of today.
According to a Daily Telegraph report, SNP backbencher Ian McKee has proposed that buying alcohol on supermarket loyalty cards or as part of a 'meal deal' be banned in the country.
It's all starting to get a bit silly now up there.
Do alcohol abusers actually use supermarket loyalty cards? And, surely, having food with alcohol slows the effect - something alcoholics would steer well away from.
In a way, though, it's actually good that the price argument has gone to this extreme, if only to highlight just how insulting it is to the intelligence of consumers to use price to slow consumption. And if you disagree with that, then how about looking to improve the intelligence of consumers, so that they can be insulted by this harebrained suggestion?
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research