Blog: Scotland's Getting Silly
Olly Wehring | 15 September 2010
We've been pretty thorough in our monitoring of the twists and turns within Scottish politics of late, as the people's elected representatives have talked and talked and talked about how to deal with the country's relationship with alcohol.
The latest twist, however, has had me rolling my eyes for most of today.
According to a Daily Telegraph report, SNP backbencher Ian McKee has proposed that buying alcohol on supermarket loyalty cards or as part of a 'meal deal' be banned in the country.
It's all starting to get a bit silly now up there.
Do alcohol abusers actually use supermarket loyalty cards? And, surely, having food with alcohol slows the effect - something alcoholics would steer well away from.
In a way, though, it's actually good that the price argument has gone to this extreme, if only to highlight just how insulting it is to the intelligence of consumers to use price to slow consumption. And if you disagree with that, then how about looking to improve the intelligence of consumers, so that they can be insulted by this harebrained suggestion?
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research