Blog: Scotland's Getting Silly
Olly Wehring | 15 September 2010
We've been pretty thorough in our monitoring of the twists and turns within Scottish politics of late, as the people's elected representatives have talked and talked and talked about how to deal with the country's relationship with alcohol.
The latest twist, however, has had me rolling my eyes for most of today.
According to a Daily Telegraph report, SNP backbencher Ian McKee has proposed that buying alcohol on supermarket loyalty cards or as part of a 'meal deal' be banned in the country.
It's all starting to get a bit silly now up there.
Do alcohol abusers actually use supermarket loyalty cards? And, surely, having food with alcohol slows the effect - something alcoholics would steer well away from.
In a way, though, it's actually good that the price argument has gone to this extreme, if only to highlight just how insulting it is to the intelligence of consumers to use price to slow consumption. And if you disagree with that, then how about looking to improve the intelligence of consumers, so that they can be insulted by this harebrained suggestion?
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research