Blog: Scotch those rumours
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 April 2005
I have just spent the last two days in Scotland with the Chivas Brothers team – Pernod’s Scotch whisky division – at the Keepers of the Quaich dinner. Though no-one was able to talk to me concerning the Allied deal, you sensed an air of optimism at the prospect of another huge leap forward for Pernod.
The deal has had its doubters ever since talks were announced. Indeed, even now, as things seemingly come towards a close, some analysts are sceptical we will see it wrapped up this quickly. “Any bid for Allied Domecq from Pernod/Fortune is unlikely to emerge for at least two months,” one banking source was quoted saying yesterday.
However, I still believe that, given Pernod’s track record in all things merger-orientated, those on the sidelines shouldn’t be surprised if Allied’s AGM on Thursday marks the unveiling of a formal bid.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends