Blog: Scotch those rumours
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 April 2005
I have just spent the last two days in Scotland with the Chivas Brothers team – Pernod’s Scotch whisky division – at the Keepers of the Quaich dinner. Though no-one was able to talk to me concerning the Allied deal, you sensed an air of optimism at the prospect of another huge leap forward for Pernod.
The deal has had its doubters ever since talks were announced. Indeed, even now, as things seemingly come towards a close, some analysts are sceptical we will see it wrapped up this quickly. “Any bid for Allied Domecq from Pernod/Fortune is unlikely to emerge for at least two months,” one banking source was quoted saying yesterday.
However, I still believe that, given Pernod’s track record in all things merger-orientated, those on the sidelines shouldn’t be surprised if Allied’s AGM on Thursday marks the unveiling of a formal bid.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends