Blog: Scotch those rumours
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 April 2005
I have just spent the last two days in Scotland with the Chivas Brothers team – Pernod’s Scotch whisky division – at the Keepers of the Quaich dinner. Though no-one was able to talk to me concerning the Allied deal, you sensed an air of optimism at the prospect of another huge leap forward for Pernod.
The deal has had its doubters ever since talks were announced. Indeed, even now, as things seemingly come towards a close, some analysts are sceptical we will see it wrapped up this quickly. “Any bid for Allied Domecq from Pernod/Fortune is unlikely to emerge for at least two months,” one banking source was quoted saying yesterday.
However, I still believe that, given Pernod’s track record in all things merger-orientated, those on the sidelines shouldn’t be surprised if Allied’s AGM on Thursday marks the unveiling of a formal bid.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends