Blog: Scotch those rumours
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 April 2005
I have just spent the last two days in Scotland with the Chivas Brothers team – Pernod’s Scotch whisky division – at the Keepers of the Quaich dinner. Though no-one was able to talk to me concerning the Allied deal, you sensed an air of optimism at the prospect of another huge leap forward for Pernod.
The deal has had its doubters ever since talks were announced. Indeed, even now, as things seemingly come towards a close, some analysts are sceptical we will see it wrapped up this quickly. “Any bid for Allied Domecq from Pernod/Fortune is unlikely to emerge for at least two months,” one banking source was quoted saying yesterday.
However, I still believe that, given Pernod’s track record in all things merger-orientated, those on the sidelines shouldn’t be surprised if Allied’s AGM on Thursday marks the unveiling of a formal bid.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends