Blog: Scotch. In. Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.
Olly Wehring | 10 September 2015
You may have seen the release this week by Moet Hennessy of a white paper looking at the results of a vial of Ardbeg's two-and-a-half years aboard the International Space Station.
The experiment prompted this most entertaining mini-documentary.
It also prompted Scotch whisky producer Douglas Laing & Co to consider the best way to keep its MD going.
“Douglas Laing & Co today announces its intention to send its managing director, Fred Laing, into space,” the company said earlier today. “This extraordinary measure is a bid to halt the whisky blender’s maturation process, allowing him to hit back at those who opine that he should shortly retire.”
At 64, Fred is the second generation in the family-owned company.
“News of Scotch whisky being sent into Space to examine the effect of micro-gravity on maturation got me thinking,” he said. “Up to 60% of my body is composed of whisky and I’m approaching 65. No one need know my true age, and I can continue to do what I love within this wonderful industry…well, forever.”
The thoughts of the third generation, represented by Cara Laing, were not immediately available.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World