Blog: Scotch. In. Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.
Olly Wehring | 10 September 2015
You may have seen the release this week by Moet Hennessy of a white paper looking at the results of a vial of Ardbeg's two-and-a-half years aboard the International Space Station.
The experiment prompted this most entertaining mini-documentary.
It also prompted Scotch whisky producer Douglas Laing & Co to consider the best way to keep its MD going.
“Douglas Laing & Co today announces its intention to send its managing director, Fred Laing, into space,” the company said earlier today. “This extraordinary measure is a bid to halt the whisky blender’s maturation process, allowing him to hit back at those who opine that he should shortly retire.”
At 64, Fred is the second generation in the family-owned company.
“News of Scotch whisky being sent into Space to examine the effect of micro-gravity on maturation got me thinking,” he said. “Up to 60% of my body is composed of whisky and I’m approaching 65. No one need know my true age, and I can continue to do what I love within this wonderful industry…well, forever.”
The thoughts of the third generation, represented by Cara Laing, were not immediately available.
Puerto Rican rum company Destileria Serralles has launched two aged rums in the UK....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In the first part of just-drinks' interview with Bulldog Gin Co's founder & CEO, Anshuman Vohra, we looked at the birth and rise of the brand. In part two, Vohra considers the wider gin segment, Bulld...
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends