Blog: Scotch. In. Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.
Olly Wehring | 10 September 2015
You may have seen the release this week by Moet Hennessy of a white paper looking at the results of a vial of Ardbeg's two-and-a-half years aboard the International Space Station.
The experiment prompted this most entertaining mini-documentary.
It also prompted Scotch whisky producer Douglas Laing & Co to consider the best way to keep its MD going.
“Douglas Laing & Co today announces its intention to send its managing director, Fred Laing, into space,” the company said earlier today. “This extraordinary measure is a bid to halt the whisky blender’s maturation process, allowing him to hit back at those who opine that he should shortly retire.”
At 64, Fred is the second generation in the family-owned company.
“News of Scotch whisky being sent into Space to examine the effect of micro-gravity on maturation got me thinking,” he said. “Up to 60% of my body is composed of whisky and I’m approaching 65. No one need know my true age, and I can continue to do what I love within this wonderful industry…well, forever.”
The thoughts of the third generation, represented by Cara Laing, were not immediately available.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
Casa Cuervo is set to release the second expression in its Steamship Collection....
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends