Blog: Saudis say no to silverware
Olly Wehring | 19 June 2006
Yet more from the World Cup in Germany…
Saudi Arabia might not be many pundits’ tip to go all the way to the final. In spite of a 2-2 draw with Tunisia last week, they still have to face Ukraine and the much-fancied Spanish squad to get to the second round.
It will need all 11 Saudi players to put in man-of-the-match performances to get anywhere near progressing through to the knockout stages. Not that they’d get anything for their efforts.
The Muslim team have advised FIFA that, should any of their players be chosen as man of the match, they would refuse it.
The award is a silver mug with the Anheuser-Busch logo on it.
“We will activate common sense in this situation, but it is a given that no Saudi player will be nominated for the award, simply because we know for certain that they will refuse to accept it,” a FIFA official told Associated Press.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- This week in beer and cider
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Remy Cointreau sees H1 sales, profits rise
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts