Blog: Sake so-and-so
Olly Wehring | 7 March 2007
Some of you will remember my plea of ignorance last month, when it came to the eastern drinks of sake and shochu. Well, last night, my blindness was cured, with a sake tasting at Saki Bar & Food Emporium in London.
Highlight of the evening was a rather good, low-alcohol sparkling version of sake, called Marumoto Hô Hô Shu, from Okayama - tasted like Champagne with the extra kudos of being Japanese (no offence Champenois). Some of you will also remember my comments about how sake can creep up on you, making its effects known when you stand up. Well, as I left the bar, I got hopelessly lost trying to find the nearest underground station and I tripped over some roadworks.
Not sure I can blame the sake this time, more my cackhanded lack of coordination.
Incidentally, quote of the night, and I do not draw stereotypical conclusions from this, came from the Japanese organiser of the event: “We’ll start proceedings in 30 seconds.”
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts