Blog: Sake so-and-so
Olly Wehring | 7 March 2007
Some of you will remember my plea of ignorance last month, when it came to the eastern drinks of sake and shochu. Well, last night, my blindness was cured, with a sake tasting at Saki Bar & Food Emporium in London.
Highlight of the evening was a rather good, low-alcohol sparkling version of sake, called Marumoto Hô Hô Shu, from Okayama - tasted like Champagne with the extra kudos of being Japanese (no offence Champenois). Some of you will also remember my comments about how sake can creep up on you, making its effects known when you stand up. Well, as I left the bar, I got hopelessly lost trying to find the nearest underground station and I tripped over some roadworks.
Not sure I can blame the sake this time, more my cackhanded lack of coordination.
Incidentally, quote of the night, and I do not draw stereotypical conclusions from this, came from the Japanese organiser of the event: “We’ll start proceedings in 30 seconds.”
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends