Blog: Sake so-and-so
Olly Wehring | 7 March 2007
Some of you will remember my plea of ignorance last month, when it came to the eastern drinks of sake and shochu. Well, last night, my blindness was cured, with a sake tasting at Saki Bar & Food Emporium in London.
Highlight of the evening was a rather good, low-alcohol sparkling version of sake, called Marumoto Hô Hô Shu, from Okayama - tasted like Champagne with the extra kudos of being Japanese (no offence Champenois). Some of you will also remember my comments about how sake can creep up on you, making its effects known when you stand up. Well, as I left the bar, I got hopelessly lost trying to find the nearest underground station and I tripped over some roadworks.
Not sure I can blame the sake this time, more my cackhanded lack of coordination.
Incidentally, quote of the night, and I do not draw stereotypical conclusions from this, came from the Japanese organiser of the event: “We’ll start proceedings in 30 seconds.”
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research