Blog: Sake so-and-so
Olly Wehring | 7 March 2007
Some of you will remember my plea of ignorance last month, when it came to the eastern drinks of sake and shochu. Well, last night, my blindness was cured, with a sake tasting at Saki Bar & Food Emporium in London.
Highlight of the evening was a rather good, low-alcohol sparkling version of sake, called Marumoto Hô Hô Shu, from Okayama - tasted like Champagne with the extra kudos of being Japanese (no offence Champenois). Some of you will also remember my comments about how sake can creep up on you, making its effects known when you stand up. Well, as I left the bar, I got hopelessly lost trying to find the nearest underground station and I tripped over some roadworks.
Not sure I can blame the sake this time, more my cackhanded lack of coordination.
Incidentally, quote of the night, and I do not draw stereotypical conclusions from this, came from the Japanese organiser of the event: “We’ll start proceedings in 30 seconds.”
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends