Blog: Sake so-and-so
Olly Wehring | 7 March 2007
Some of you will remember my plea of ignorance last month, when it came to the eastern drinks of sake and shochu. Well, last night, my blindness was cured, with a sake tasting at Saki Bar & Food Emporium in London.
Highlight of the evening was a rather good, low-alcohol sparkling version of sake, called Marumoto Hô Hô Shu, from Okayama - tasted like Champagne with the extra kudos of being Japanese (no offence Champenois). Some of you will also remember my comments about how sake can creep up on you, making its effects known when you stand up. Well, as I left the bar, I got hopelessly lost trying to find the nearest underground station and I tripped over some roadworks.
Not sure I can blame the sake this time, more my cackhanded lack of coordination.
Incidentally, quote of the night, and I do not draw stereotypical conclusions from this, came from the Japanese organiser of the event: “We’ll start proceedings in 30 seconds.”
It's yet another sign that the legal marijuana business is moving closer to the alcohol industry in the US....
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
- Comment - Scotch's Battle with Age
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- Brown-Forman's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Pernod Ricard to up focus on consumers - CEO
- Diageo to close Maryland bottling site
- A-B InBev GSA head in drink-driving crash
- Diageo creates USL unit to oversee own brands
- Pernod Ricard on US starting blocks with Havanista
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer