Blog: Sake so-and-so
Olly Wehring | 7 March 2007
Some of you will remember my plea of ignorance last month, when it came to the eastern drinks of sake and shochu. Well, last night, my blindness was cured, with a sake tasting at Saki Bar & Food Emporium in London.
Highlight of the evening was a rather good, low-alcohol sparkling version of sake, called Marumoto Hô Hô Shu, from Okayama - tasted like Champagne with the extra kudos of being Japanese (no offence Champenois). Some of you will also remember my comments about how sake can creep up on you, making its effects known when you stand up. Well, as I left the bar, I got hopelessly lost trying to find the nearest underground station and I tripped over some roadworks.
Not sure I can blame the sake this time, more my cackhanded lack of coordination.
Incidentally, quote of the night, and I do not draw stereotypical conclusions from this, came from the Japanese organiser of the event: “We’ll start proceedings in 30 seconds.”
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
Frank Sinatra liked a drink. He was famous for it. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research