Blog: Sake so-and-so
Olly Wehring | 7 March 2007
Some of you will remember my plea of ignorance last month, when it came to the eastern drinks of sake and shochu. Well, last night, my blindness was cured, with a sake tasting at Saki Bar & Food Emporium in London.
Highlight of the evening was a rather good, low-alcohol sparkling version of sake, called Marumoto Hô Hô Shu, from Okayama - tasted like Champagne with the extra kudos of being Japanese (no offence Champenois). Some of you will also remember my comments about how sake can creep up on you, making its effects known when you stand up. Well, as I left the bar, I got hopelessly lost trying to find the nearest underground station and I tripped over some roadworks.
Not sure I can blame the sake this time, more my cackhanded lack of coordination.
Incidentally, quote of the night, and I do not draw stereotypical conclusions from this, came from the Japanese organiser of the event: “We’ll start proceedings in 30 seconds.”
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages