Blog: Sake? Check. Shochu...?
Olly Wehring | 2 February 2007
To the pictures (or movies, if you must) last night to watch Babel, and a scene where an undercover cop sinks a few shochus in Tokyo made me realise how little I know about the stuff.
It says here (I’m not telling you where), that shochu is a distilled, halfway-house tipple, somewhere in strength between whisky and wine. The drink, which is typically 25% abv, is from the Japanese island of Kyushu, where they’re apparently so proud of their product that they refuse to produce sake.
Shochu shipments within Japan surpassed those of sake for the first time in 2003 and, according to Wikipedia (damn, I told you), a Japanese citizen who, until recently, held the world record for longest life span - 120 - made shochu part of his daily diet.
Now, I’ve tried sake, which I liked very much, despite the evil deception it plays on you, as you’ll know when you try to stand up. But I’ve never had any shochu.
Has anybody tried it?
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends