Blog: Sake? Check. Shochu...?
Olly Wehring | 2 February 2007
To the pictures (or movies, if you must) last night to watch Babel, and a scene where an undercover cop sinks a few shochus in Tokyo made me realise how little I know about the stuff.
It says here (I’m not telling you where), that shochu is a distilled, halfway-house tipple, somewhere in strength between whisky and wine. The drink, which is typically 25% abv, is from the Japanese island of Kyushu, where they’re apparently so proud of their product that they refuse to produce sake.
Shochu shipments within Japan surpassed those of sake for the first time in 2003 and, according to Wikipedia (damn, I told you), a Japanese citizen who, until recently, held the world record for longest life span - 120 - made shochu part of his daily diet.
Now, I’ve tried sake, which I liked very much, despite the evil deception it plays on you, as you’ll know when you try to stand up. But I’ve never had any shochu.
Has anybody tried it?
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Luxury rum heads for slowdown as US growth stalls
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts