Blog: Sake? Check. Shochu...?
Olly Wehring | 2 February 2007
To the pictures (or movies, if you must) last night to watch Babel, and a scene where an undercover cop sinks a few shochus in Tokyo made me realise how little I know about the stuff.
It says here (I’m not telling you where), that shochu is a distilled, halfway-house tipple, somewhere in strength between whisky and wine. The drink, which is typically 25% abv, is from the Japanese island of Kyushu, where they’re apparently so proud of their product that they refuse to produce sake.
Shochu shipments within Japan surpassed those of sake for the first time in 2003 and, according to Wikipedia (damn, I told you), a Japanese citizen who, until recently, held the world record for longest life span - 120 - made shochu part of his daily diet.
Now, I’ve tried sake, which I liked very much, despite the evil deception it plays on you, as you’ll know when you try to stand up. But I’ve never had any shochu.
Has anybody tried it?
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends