Blog: SABMiller takes a lead from Kevin Costner
Chris Mercer | 11 October 2010
SABMiller has muted the idea that breweries of the future may be built on ships.
Floating breweries are what the world may need within 30 years if SABMiller's dauntingly-titled 'Marginal Survival' scenario comes to pass. In one of several scenarios for the future of the world, SABMiller and consultancy Innovia Technology believe that breweries on boats could rapidly adapt to new markets in a climate of mass migration away from areas of fresh water shortage and extreme weather.
"A smaller, mobile brewery would move from place to place on the back of a ship," said the brewer today (11 October).
"The example of the brewery on a ship is entirely feasible," said Innovia director Rob Wilkinson, after watching the 1995 film Waterworld starring Kevin Costner.
"It would allow for rapid entry to new markets, especially where no infrastructure is in place, it would provide flexibility in positioning and length of stay and allow SABMiller to move with water sources, with people, with crops, or even away from severe weather, natural disasters or political instability.”
More importantly, this option ensures that we can all sit back with a Peroni no matter what chaos Mother Nature manages to concoct.
In two more realistic scenarios, entitled Water Scarce and Energy Deprived, SABMiller envisages the need to reduce water use per litre of beer to just two litres. Its current average is 4.5 litres of water per litre of beer produced. The brewer also sees breweries becoming community hubs, where local farmers could use the brewery mills to process crops and biofuel could be generated to power the local area.
Very worthy, but not as exciting as the Costner-inspired brewery flotilla.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends