Blog: SABMiller saves hippo on the run...
Olly Wehring | 16 July 2009
Not content with lifting South Africa's black community out of the mire, or saving the world's water supplies, SABMiller has reportedly turned its hand to animal rescue.
Colombian authorities have reportedly called off their hunt to kill an escaped hippo, because SABMiller's subsidiary brewer in the country, Bavaria, offered to fly in animal protection experts from South Africa and Tanzania.
"We have accepted Bavaria’s offer. The hunt is off," a Government spokesperson told Reuters yesterday (15 July).
The hippo, named Matilda, was once the property of cocain drug baron Pablo Escobar. Had it not been for Bavaria's intervention, Matilda may have met the same sticky end as her mate, Pepe, who also escaped and was reportedly shot through the heart by authorities.
Unconfirmed reports out of London said today that SAB is considering a name change. From Monday, it is thought the brewer will trade on the London Stock Exchange as 'SaintMiller'.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits