Blog: SABMiller leads Bavarious outcomes
Chris Brook-Carter | 10 March 2005
There has been a lot of noise but little concrete action so far in the battle that is rumoured to be going on between the world’s international brewers to acquire Bavaria.
In all respects Bavaria is likely to be the eventual winner in all of this. Its share price keeps climbing and the company needs a foreign investor if it is to survive in a toughening market.
An HSBC analyst was reported today saying that Bavaria has expanded as far as it can in the region and is highly geared as a consequence of historical acquisition activity.
“It now needs a foreign partner if it is to defend itself against the coming onslaught from AmBev,” the analyst said.
Of all the possible outcomes suggested by the media so far, my money would be on SABMiller coming through as the eventual successful bidder.
Heineken doesn’t like to overpay. InBev boss, John Brock, has already dampened speculation that he is interested and Anheuser-Busch is unlikely to accept anything but a full takeover – limiting its bargaining position with Bavaria’s controlling family the Santa Domingoes.
SABMiller has a history of broking successful takeovers with strong regional brewers, it has an excellent track record of assimilating purchases and its pockets will be deep enough to scrap it out in a bidding war.
In return it would get a brewer with a dominant position in a number of markets it operates in and one of the few brewing jewels left to acquire in a high growth region of the market.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research