Blog: Running - and drinking - for Alan Lodge
Olly Wehring | 26 July 2013
The Ardbeg Islay Half Marathon takes place next weekend, and just-drinks will be on the start line.
Along with a gaggle of my peers, I'll be running 13.1 miles on the Scottish island of Islay on Saturday 3 August.
Whilst I will be doing this - in part - for the sake of my health – I shall mainly be running – and afterwards, drinking Ardbeg - in memory of Alan Lodge.
I knew Alan for just over three years, during which time he wrote for The Drinks Business here in the UK. Alan was all set to move across to sister publication The Spirits Business when, in February last year he suffered a brain haemorrhage and passed away.
Alan was 29.
So, along with Lucy Britner and Hamish Smith from Drinks International, Chris Losh and Laura Foster from Imbibe, Joel Harrison from caskstrength.com, Sandrae Sharpen from Cocktail Lovers, Richard Siddle from Harpers, Marcin Miller from Quercus Communications, freelance writer Richard Woodard and Becky Paskin from The Spirits Business, I'll be raising funds for the National Brain Appeal.
If you'd like to make a donation in honour of Alan, you can do so here.
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
Beer consumption in Germany - already pretty impressive - will undoubtedly have enjoyed a spike following celebrations over the nation's FIFA World Cup win. ...
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Alcohol retailer group appoints new chairman