Blog: Rumour mill
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 February 2004
Speculation has begun to appear in the German press about what food group Oetker plans to do with Brau und Brunnen after its recent acquisition of the brewer.
Though the group has denied the rumours, according to the German newspaper Welt am Sonntag, which cites a source from within Oetker Group, the new owner is planning to sell off about 25% of Brau und Brunnen's activities.
It is thought that the breweries based in and around Cologne which brew the regional speciality Kolsch, and include the premium brand Sion, the mass-market brand Gilden and the bottom-end brands Kuppers and Sester, are to be first in line.
Interestingly back in December talks to sell Brau und Brunnen ran aground, when 63%-owner HypoVereinsbank (HVB) pulled out of talks with US investment firm One Equity Partners (OEP).
At a press conference, Michael Hollmann, chief of Brau und Brunnen, told reporters that the talks had broken down, “not on the question of price, but as a result of the behaviour of the would-be buyers.”
At the time it was reported that OEP had also been in simultaneous talks with Oetker, over a possible dismantling of Brau und Brunnen once the purchase had gone through.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends