Blog: Rumour mill
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 February 2004
Speculation has begun to appear in the German press about what food group Oetker plans to do with Brau und Brunnen after its recent acquisition of the brewer.
Though the group has denied the rumours, according to the German newspaper Welt am Sonntag, which cites a source from within Oetker Group, the new owner is planning to sell off about 25% of Brau und Brunnen's activities.
It is thought that the breweries based in and around Cologne which brew the regional speciality Kolsch, and include the premium brand Sion, the mass-market brand Gilden and the bottom-end brands Kuppers and Sester, are to be first in line.
Interestingly back in December talks to sell Brau und Brunnen ran aground, when 63%-owner HypoVereinsbank (HVB) pulled out of talks with US investment firm One Equity Partners (OEP).
At a press conference, Michael Hollmann, chief of Brau und Brunnen, told reporters that the talks had broken down, “not on the question of price, but as a result of the behaviour of the would-be buyers.”
At the time it was reported that OEP had also been in simultaneous talks with Oetker, over a possible dismantling of Brau und Brunnen once the purchase had gone through.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research