Blog: Rumour mill
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 February 2004
Speculation has begun to appear in the German press about what food group Oetker plans to do with Brau und Brunnen after its recent acquisition of the brewer.
Though the group has denied the rumours, according to the German newspaper Welt am Sonntag, which cites a source from within Oetker Group, the new owner is planning to sell off about 25% of Brau und Brunnen's activities.
It is thought that the breweries based in and around Cologne which brew the regional speciality Kolsch, and include the premium brand Sion, the mass-market brand Gilden and the bottom-end brands Kuppers and Sester, are to be first in line.
Interestingly back in December talks to sell Brau und Brunnen ran aground, when 63%-owner HypoVereinsbank (HVB) pulled out of talks with US investment firm One Equity Partners (OEP).
At a press conference, Michael Hollmann, chief of Brau und Brunnen, told reporters that the talks had broken down, “not on the question of price, but as a result of the behaviour of the would-be buyers.”
At the time it was reported that OEP had also been in simultaneous talks with Oetker, over a possible dismantling of Brau und Brunnen once the purchase had gone through.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Corby's FY suffers from US focus
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review