Blog: Rumour mill
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 February 2004
Speculation has begun to appear in the German press about what food group Oetker plans to do with Brau und Brunnen after its recent acquisition of the brewer.
Though the group has denied the rumours, according to the German newspaper Welt am Sonntag, which cites a source from within Oetker Group, the new owner is planning to sell off about 25% of Brau und Brunnen's activities.
It is thought that the breweries based in and around Cologne which brew the regional speciality Kolsch, and include the premium brand Sion, the mass-market brand Gilden and the bottom-end brands Kuppers and Sester, are to be first in line.
Interestingly back in December talks to sell Brau und Brunnen ran aground, when 63%-owner HypoVereinsbank (HVB) pulled out of talks with US investment firm One Equity Partners (OEP).
At a press conference, Michael Hollmann, chief of Brau und Brunnen, told reporters that the talks had broken down, “not on the question of price, but as a result of the behaviour of the would-be buyers.”
At the time it was reported that OEP had also been in simultaneous talks with Oetker, over a possible dismantling of Brau und Brunnen once the purchase had gone through.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
The US state of Arkansas goes to the polls on 4 November to decide whether to end so-called “dry” counties, meaning ones that don't allow any alcohol sales. About half of the state's 75 counties are a...
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk