Blog: Rule Britagne? The new face of English wine
Chris Mercer | 5 July 2011
Can we call off the search for a generic name for English sparkling wines? Don't be too hasty.
Wine industry deity Christian Seely, one half of producer Coates & Seely, thinks that all English wine producers should adopt the name "Britagne" to define their wines as one category.
"We don’t believe that “English Sparkling Wine” or “Quality Sparkling Wine” does our product justice – it’s too literal and bland," Seely was quoted as telling the Telegraph newspaper.
He's got a point. But, 'Britagne'? Really? Isn't that a bit, well, French-sounding for the English wine industry?
Apparently, Seely said that this is intentional.
Ah, that's ok then.
By a similar token, perhaps the Californians should have called their most famous wine region 'Napali Valley' (instead of the rather mundane 'Napa Valley'), in honour of 'Old World' Italian winemaking.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Kirin lines up cans for Little Creatures beer
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends