Blog: Rule Britagne? The new face of English wine
Chris Mercer | 5 July 2011
Can we call off the search for a generic name for English sparkling wines? Don't be too hasty.
Wine industry deity Christian Seely, one half of producer Coates & Seely, thinks that all English wine producers should adopt the name "Britagne" to define their wines as one category.
"We don’t believe that “English Sparkling Wine” or “Quality Sparkling Wine” does our product justice – it’s too literal and bland," Seely was quoted as telling the Telegraph newspaper.
He's got a point. But, 'Britagne'? Really? Isn't that a bit, well, French-sounding for the English wine industry?
Apparently, Seely said that this is intentional.
Ah, that's ok then.
By a similar token, perhaps the Californians should have called their most famous wine region 'Napali Valley' (instead of the rather mundane 'Napa Valley'), in honour of 'Old World' Italian winemaking.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Corby's FY suffers from US focus
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research