Blog: Rule Britagne? The new face of English wine
Chris Mercer | 5 July 2011
Can we call off the search for a generic name for English sparkling wines? Don't be too hasty.
Wine industry deity Christian Seely, one half of producer Coates & Seely, thinks that all English wine producers should adopt the name "Britagne" to define their wines as one category.
"We don’t believe that “English Sparkling Wine” or “Quality Sparkling Wine” does our product justice – it’s too literal and bland," Seely was quoted as telling the Telegraph newspaper.
He's got a point. But, 'Britagne'? Really? Isn't that a bit, well, French-sounding for the English wine industry?
Apparently, Seely said that this is intentional.
Ah, that's ok then.
By a similar token, perhaps the Californians should have called their most famous wine region 'Napali Valley' (instead of the rather mundane 'Napa Valley'), in honour of 'Old World' Italian winemaking.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review