Blog: Rocking the Mexico beer boat
Chris Mercer | 10 August 2010
There are going to be a few sleepless nights for Heineken and Anheuser-Busch InBev's respective affiliate brewers in Mexico, FEMSA Cerveza and Grupo Modelo, over the next four months.
That's because Mexican competition officials are once again investigating whether the two firms' stranglehold on the country's beer market is being maintained by "monopolistic practices".
If you listen to the analysts, exclusive supply deals with independent retailers - which lie at the heart of this case - are an open secret on Mexico's beer market. There have been several previous investigations that have fallen apart.
This time, however, complainant SABMiller thinks its chances of success are higher. There has been a notable change of attitude on competition policy at the highest level in Mexican Government. President Calderon recently introduced fresh legislation to tighten up the rules and give the competition authority, Cofeco, more power.
That said, even should Cofeco change the rules, SABMiller would face a very tall order to build share in a market so powerfully dominated by two other players.
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review