Blog: Rocking the Mexico beer boat
Chris Mercer | 10 August 2010
There are going to be a few sleepless nights for Heineken and Anheuser-Busch InBev's respective affiliate brewers in Mexico, FEMSA Cerveza and Grupo Modelo, over the next four months.
That's because Mexican competition officials are once again investigating whether the two firms' stranglehold on the country's beer market is being maintained by "monopolistic practices".
If you listen to the analysts, exclusive supply deals with independent retailers - which lie at the heart of this case - are an open secret on Mexico's beer market. There have been several previous investigations that have fallen apart.
This time, however, complainant SABMiller thinks its chances of success are higher. There has been a notable change of attitude on competition policy at the highest level in Mexican Government. President Calderon recently introduced fresh legislation to tighten up the rules and give the competition authority, Cofeco, more power.
That said, even should Cofeco change the rules, SABMiller would face a very tall order to build share in a market so powerfully dominated by two other players.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages