Blog: Rocking the Mexico beer boat
Chris Mercer | 10 August 2010
There are going to be a few sleepless nights for Heineken and Anheuser-Busch InBev's respective affiliate brewers in Mexico, FEMSA Cerveza and Grupo Modelo, over the next four months.
That's because Mexican competition officials are once again investigating whether the two firms' stranglehold on the country's beer market is being maintained by "monopolistic practices".
If you listen to the analysts, exclusive supply deals with independent retailers - which lie at the heart of this case - are an open secret on Mexico's beer market. There have been several previous investigations that have fallen apart.
This time, however, complainant SABMiller thinks its chances of success are higher. There has been a notable change of attitude on competition policy at the highest level in Mexican Government. President Calderon recently introduced fresh legislation to tighten up the rules and give the competition authority, Cofeco, more power.
That said, even should Cofeco change the rules, SABMiller would face a very tall order to build share in a market so powerfully dominated by two other players.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research