Blog: Remy Cointreau to lure Diageo away from Moet?
Chris Mercer | 8 April 2011
Deutsche Bank thinks that Diageo would be better off ditching Moet Hennessy and walking into the, relatively speaking, open arms of Remy Cointreau.
You can certainly see the logic. Moet Hennessy's owner, Bernard Arnault, has consisently said that he doesn't want to sell up. Meanwhile, Diageo is choking on Pernod Ricard's Cognac fumes in China, without a brand of its own.
Added to that, Deutsche Bank thinks that Diageo will generate more synergies from a deal with Remy Cointreau.
However, the fact that the value of Diageo's 34% stake in Moet could be enough to cover a takeover of Remy Cointreau says something. Moet is the bigger prize, if only the drinks giant can find a legal way to loosen Arnault's grip. It also offers Diageo ownership of the world's best-selling Champagne - Moet & Chandon.
I'm sure this is something that Diageo has mulled at different points over the last few years, but it's far from a straightforward decision. If it wanted to plump for Remy, wouldn't it have moved before now?
At the same time, Diageo could be saving itself for a swoop for Jim Beam.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Interview - Harviestoun Brewery MD Toby Knowles
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends