Blog: Remy Cointreau to lure Diageo away from Moet?
Chris Mercer | 8 April 2011
Deutsche Bank thinks that Diageo would be better off ditching Moet Hennessy and walking into the, relatively speaking, open arms of Remy Cointreau.
You can certainly see the logic. Moet Hennessy's owner, Bernard Arnault, has consisently said that he doesn't want to sell up. Meanwhile, Diageo is choking on Pernod Ricard's Cognac fumes in China, without a brand of its own.
Added to that, Deutsche Bank thinks that Diageo will generate more synergies from a deal with Remy Cointreau.
However, the fact that the value of Diageo's 34% stake in Moet could be enough to cover a takeover of Remy Cointreau says something. Moet is the bigger prize, if only the drinks giant can find a legal way to loosen Arnault's grip. It also offers Diageo ownership of the world's best-selling Champagne - Moet & Chandon.
I'm sure this is something that Diageo has mulled at different points over the last few years, but it's far from a straightforward decision. If it wanted to plump for Remy, wouldn't it have moved before now?
At the same time, Diageo could be saving itself for a swoop for Jim Beam.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends