Blog: Remy Cointreau to lure Diageo away from Moet?
Chris Mercer | 8 April 2011
Deutsche Bank thinks that Diageo would be better off ditching Moet Hennessy and walking into the, relatively speaking, open arms of Remy Cointreau.
You can certainly see the logic. Moet Hennessy's owner, Bernard Arnault, has consisently said that he doesn't want to sell up. Meanwhile, Diageo is choking on Pernod Ricard's Cognac fumes in China, without a brand of its own.
Added to that, Deutsche Bank thinks that Diageo will generate more synergies from a deal with Remy Cointreau.
However, the fact that the value of Diageo's 34% stake in Moet could be enough to cover a takeover of Remy Cointreau says something. Moet is the bigger prize, if only the drinks giant can find a legal way to loosen Arnault's grip. It also offers Diageo ownership of the world's best-selling Champagne - Moet & Chandon.
I'm sure this is something that Diageo has mulled at different points over the last few years, but it's far from a straightforward decision. If it wanted to plump for Remy, wouldn't it have moved before now?
At the same time, Diageo could be saving itself for a swoop for Jim Beam.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits