Blog: Remy Cointreau to lure Diageo away from Moet?
Chris Mercer | 8 April 2011
Deutsche Bank thinks that Diageo would be better off ditching Moet Hennessy and walking into the, relatively speaking, open arms of Remy Cointreau.
You can certainly see the logic. Moet Hennessy's owner, Bernard Arnault, has consisently said that he doesn't want to sell up. Meanwhile, Diageo is choking on Pernod Ricard's Cognac fumes in China, without a brand of its own.
Added to that, Deutsche Bank thinks that Diageo will generate more synergies from a deal with Remy Cointreau.
However, the fact that the value of Diageo's 34% stake in Moet could be enough to cover a takeover of Remy Cointreau says something. Moet is the bigger prize, if only the drinks giant can find a legal way to loosen Arnault's grip. It also offers Diageo ownership of the world's best-selling Champagne - Moet & Chandon.
I'm sure this is something that Diageo has mulled at different points over the last few years, but it's far from a straightforward decision. If it wanted to plump for Remy, wouldn't it have moved before now?
At the same time, Diageo could be saving itself for a swoop for Jim Beam.
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- NPD: Brewdog's Born to Die
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review