Blog: Remy Cointreau to lure Diageo away from Moet?
Chris Mercer | 8 April 2011
Deutsche Bank thinks that Diageo would be better off ditching Moet Hennessy and walking into the, relatively speaking, open arms of Remy Cointreau.
You can certainly see the logic. Moet Hennessy's owner, Bernard Arnault, has consisently said that he doesn't want to sell up. Meanwhile, Diageo is choking on Pernod Ricard's Cognac fumes in China, without a brand of its own.
Added to that, Deutsche Bank thinks that Diageo will generate more synergies from a deal with Remy Cointreau.
However, the fact that the value of Diageo's 34% stake in Moet could be enough to cover a takeover of Remy Cointreau says something. Moet is the bigger prize, if only the drinks giant can find a legal way to loosen Arnault's grip. It also offers Diageo ownership of the world's best-selling Champagne - Moet & Chandon.
I'm sure this is something that Diageo has mulled at different points over the last few years, but it's far from a straightforward decision. If it wanted to plump for Remy, wouldn't it have moved before now?
At the same time, Diageo could be saving itself for a swoop for Jim Beam.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Martell's CEO & chairman, Philippe Guettat
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Currency woes hurt Latin American FTZs - Diageo
- A-B InBev snaps up Bogotá Beer Co in Colombia
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Beam Suntory defeats 'handmade' lawsuit
- Diageo Canada adds new RTD canning line
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review