Blog: Recession has cheapened Champagne
Chris Mercer | 21 July 2010
Rome may not have been built in a day, but it was knocked down in one - as Champagne producers are discovering in 2010.
Laurent-Perrier has brought a little cheer to northern France's most famous wine region today (21 July) by reporting a 17% jump in first quarter sales.
However, the group reluctantly admitted that many consumers are still opting for cheaper brands within its range: Volume growth in Q1 massively outpaced value sales.
This will not come as a surprise to the Champagnois, but it may cause a little concern.
The global economic downturn has washed away several years of steady price rises in Champagne's key export markets and the industry, although rebounding from the lows of last year, is finding these gains difficult to win back.
Rome never regained its former glory. Champagne will probably fare better, but it may take a while.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report