Blog: Recession has cheapened Champagne
Chris Mercer | 21 July 2010
Rome may not have been built in a day, but it was knocked down in one - as Champagne producers are discovering in 2010.
Laurent-Perrier has brought a little cheer to northern France's most famous wine region today (21 July) by reporting a 17% jump in first quarter sales.
However, the group reluctantly admitted that many consumers are still opting for cheaper brands within its range: Volume growth in Q1 massively outpaced value sales.
This will not come as a surprise to the Champagnois, but it may cause a little concern.
The global economic downturn has washed away several years of steady price rises in Champagne's key export markets and the industry, although rebounding from the lows of last year, is finding these gains difficult to win back.
Rome never regained its former glory. Champagne will probably fare better, but it may take a while.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research