Blog: Recession has cheapened Champagne
Chris Mercer | 21 July 2010
Rome may not have been built in a day, but it was knocked down in one - as Champagne producers are discovering in 2010.
Laurent-Perrier has brought a little cheer to northern France's most famous wine region today (21 July) by reporting a 17% jump in first quarter sales.
However, the group reluctantly admitted that many consumers are still opting for cheaper brands within its range: Volume growth in Q1 massively outpaced value sales.
This will not come as a surprise to the Champagnois, but it may cause a little concern.
The global economic downturn has washed away several years of steady price rises in Champagne's key export markets and the industry, although rebounding from the lows of last year, is finding these gains difficult to win back.
Rome never regained its former glory. Champagne will probably fare better, but it may take a while.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020