Blog: Recession has cheapened Champagne
Chris Mercer | 21 July 2010
Rome may not have been built in a day, but it was knocked down in one - as Champagne producers are discovering in 2010.
Laurent-Perrier has brought a little cheer to northern France's most famous wine region today (21 July) by reporting a 17% jump in first quarter sales.
However, the group reluctantly admitted that many consumers are still opting for cheaper brands within its range: Volume growth in Q1 massively outpaced value sales.
This will not come as a surprise to the Champagnois, but it may cause a little concern.
The global economic downturn has washed away several years of steady price rises in Champagne's key export markets and the industry, although rebounding from the lows of last year, is finding these gains difficult to win back.
Rome never regained its former glory. Champagne will probably fare better, but it may take a while.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets