Blog: Recession fails to dent spirits at Harrods
Olly Wehring | 9 September 2009
In another insight into how the recession is affecting drinks sales in the UK, just-drinks has learnt that luxury retailer Harrods has seen wine and spirits sales in 2009 ahead of 2008.
Wine and spirits sales at London-based Harrods, which is about as posh as retailing gets anywhere in the world, rose in the first half of 2009, compared to the same period of 2008.
just-drinks managed a snatched conversation with Alistair Viner, the Harrods wine and spirits buyer for the last 13 years, at the launch of Courvoisier de L'Essence last night.
We were surprised to hear of the division's success, given the pitiful state of the UK economy and number of bankers lamenting the loss of lavish bonuses.
Viner argued that a few big orders can make all the difference at a place like Harrods, intimating that this may have made the difference in the first six months.
The retailer's rise also backs up a growing argument that those in the middle of the market, rather than at the top and bottom, have been hit worst by the recession - as the head of Pernod Ricard UK told just-drinks yesterday.
Viner refused to get carried away, however. "The second half of the year is crucial, especially for our Champagne sales," he said.
Harrods will have exclusivity on L'Essence de Courvoisier sales for the next six weeks, before the GBP1,800 per bottle Cognac is launched worldwide.
Later this year, the retailer is planning to launch a Scotch whisky "trail", publicising some of the best single malts around, including those from Glenmorangie, Bowmore and Laphroaig.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends