Blog: Reborn in the USA
Olly Wehring | 29 October 2009
The world's largest economy, the US, has emerged from recession in the third quarter of 2009, figures released today show.
US gross domestic product (GDP) grew at an annualised rate (that's how the Americans measure it) of 3.5% in the third quarter of the year.
That is the best growth rate in the US since autumn 2007 and will fuel optimism that global economic prospects are looking brighter for 2010.
Second quarter (GDP) figures from Japan, France and Germany show that these countries have also emerged from recession. The UK remains in decline, shrinking 0.4% in the third quarter of the year.
However, with relatively high unemployment and public debt levels, question marks remain over how quickly, and to what extent, the world's major economies will recover.
Chris M. Deputy Ed.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends