Blog: Rémy Cointreau keeps us guessing on Champagne deal
Chris Mercer | 21 April 2011
According to reports in France, ex-Veuve Clicquot MD Cecile Bonnefond is being lined up as the new head of Piper-Heidsieck under the brand's new owners-to-be.
The local l'Union newspaper has reported that Bonnefond, who left Veuve-Clicquot in 2009, has been head-hunted by the likely buyer of Rémy Cointreau's Champagne brands, Societe Europeenne de Participations Industrielles (EPI).
Intriguingly, at the beginning of this year, Bonnefond left her post as a director at LVMH. L'Union claims that she left to join EPI, which is controlled by the Descours Family and has also made its name predominantly in fashion.
Aside from Bonnefond leaving LVMH, none of these details can be confirmed. Added to which, we still cannot be sure as to the state of the negotiations between EPI and Rémy Cointreau over the sale of the latter's Champagne arm.
Rémy Cointreau has not returned just-drinks' calls today (21 April) and the group offered no update on the talks in its full-year sales statement.
There is some speculation that a deal for the unit, which includes Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck, may already have been inked, even if not announced. Last month, Decanter.com reported that the deal had been agreed, although it cited no sources.
Then, today, Rémy Cointreau reported that its debt/EBIDTA ratio has improved due to a "highly favourable change in financial debt at the end of March". Could this be a referral to the debt-laden Champagne arm?
For now, it's all smoke and mirrors.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research