Blog: Rémy Cointreau keeps us guessing on Champagne deal
Chris Mercer | 21 April 2011
According to reports in France, ex-Veuve Clicquot MD Cecile Bonnefond is being lined up as the new head of Piper-Heidsieck under the brand's new owners-to-be.
The local l'Union newspaper has reported that Bonnefond, who left Veuve-Clicquot in 2009, has been head-hunted by the likely buyer of Rémy Cointreau's Champagne brands, Societe Europeenne de Participations Industrielles (EPI).
Intriguingly, at the beginning of this year, Bonnefond left her post as a director at LVMH. L'Union claims that she left to join EPI, which is controlled by the Descours Family and has also made its name predominantly in fashion.
Aside from Bonnefond leaving LVMH, none of these details can be confirmed. Added to which, we still cannot be sure as to the state of the negotiations between EPI and Rémy Cointreau over the sale of the latter's Champagne arm.
Rémy Cointreau has not returned just-drinks' calls today (21 April) and the group offered no update on the talks in its full-year sales statement.
There is some speculation that a deal for the unit, which includes Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck, may already have been inked, even if not announced. Last month, Decanter.com reported that the deal had been agreed, although it cited no sources.
Then, today, Rémy Cointreau reported that its debt/EBIDTA ratio has improved due to a "highly favourable change in financial debt at the end of March". Could this be a referral to the debt-laden Champagne arm?
For now, it's all smoke and mirrors.
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- just Five Years Ago - The Birth of Accolade Wines
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research