Blog: Rémy Cointreau keeps us guessing on Champagne deal
Chris Mercer | 21 April 2011
According to reports in France, ex-Veuve Clicquot MD Cecile Bonnefond is being lined up as the new head of Piper-Heidsieck under the brand's new owners-to-be.
The local l'Union newspaper has reported that Bonnefond, who left Veuve-Clicquot in 2009, has been head-hunted by the likely buyer of Rémy Cointreau's Champagne brands, Societe Europeenne de Participations Industrielles (EPI).
Intriguingly, at the beginning of this year, Bonnefond left her post as a director at LVMH. L'Union claims that she left to join EPI, which is controlled by the Descours Family and has also made its name predominantly in fashion.
Aside from Bonnefond leaving LVMH, none of these details can be confirmed. Added to which, we still cannot be sure as to the state of the negotiations between EPI and Rémy Cointreau over the sale of the latter's Champagne arm.
Rémy Cointreau has not returned just-drinks' calls today (21 April) and the group offered no update on the talks in its full-year sales statement.
There is some speculation that a deal for the unit, which includes Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck, may already have been inked, even if not announced. Last month, Decanter.com reported that the deal had been agreed, although it cited no sources.
Then, today, Rémy Cointreau reported that its debt/EBIDTA ratio has improved due to a "highly favourable change in financial debt at the end of March". Could this be a referral to the debt-laden Champagne arm?
For now, it's all smoke and mirrors.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends