Blog: Putin's Coca-Cola dig misses the mark
Andy Morton | 19 December 2014
Putin may not be a Coke fan
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced.
Now the company can add Vladimir Putin to the list.
In his annual press conference yesterday, the Russian president and former KGB head took a swipe at Coca-Cola's namesake CSD, reportedly saying: “I don't know whether Coca-Cola is a harmful drink... Many experts say it is.”
The sly dig was in response to a journalist’s complaint he couldn't find any kvas, a traditional Russian fermented beverage, in his local supermarket.
Was Putin looking to give the domestic kvas industry a boost at the expense of the American soda giant? If so, he may be interested to know that these days Coca-Cola's portfolio extends a long way from its core brands, and since 2008 has included - yes, you guessed it - kvas.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends