Blog: Putin's Coca-Cola dig misses the mark
Andy Morton | 19 December 2014
Putin may not be a Coke fan
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced.
Now the company can add Vladimir Putin to the list.
In his annual press conference yesterday, the Russian president and former KGB head took a swipe at Coca-Cola's namesake CSD, reportedly saying: “I don't know whether Coca-Cola is a harmful drink... Many experts say it is.”
The sly dig was in response to a journalist’s complaint he couldn't find any kvas, a traditional Russian fermented beverage, in his local supermarket.
Was Putin looking to give the domestic kvas industry a boost at the expense of the American soda giant? If so, he may be interested to know that these days Coca-Cola's portfolio extends a long way from its core brands, and since 2008 has included - yes, you guessed it - kvas.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Coca-Cola European Partners (CCEP) has launched a GBP4.5m (US$5.4m) advertising campaign for Coca-Cola Zero Sugar in the UK....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
The Coca-Cola Co has added two new juice variants to its Simply portfolio in the US....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits