Blog: Putin's Coca-Cola dig misses the mark
Andy Morton | 19 December 2014
Putin may not be a Coke fan
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced.
Now the company can add Vladimir Putin to the list.
In his annual press conference yesterday, the Russian president and former KGB head took a swipe at Coca-Cola's namesake CSD, reportedly saying: “I don't know whether Coca-Cola is a harmful drink... Many experts say it is.”
The sly dig was in response to a journalist’s complaint he couldn't find any kvas, a traditional Russian fermented beverage, in his local supermarket.
Was Putin looking to give the domestic kvas industry a boost at the expense of the American soda giant? If so, he may be interested to know that these days Coca-Cola's portfolio extends a long way from its core brands, and since 2008 has included - yes, you guessed it - kvas.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
It was a bruising first results announcement for management at the newly-formed Coca-Cola European Partners....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends