Blog: Putin's Coca-Cola dig misses the mark
Andy Morton | 19 December 2014
Putin may not be a Coke fan
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced.
Now the company can add Vladimir Putin to the list.
In his annual press conference yesterday, the Russian president and former KGB head took a swipe at Coca-Cola's namesake CSD, reportedly saying: “I don't know whether Coca-Cola is a harmful drink... Many experts say it is.”
The sly dig was in response to a journalist’s complaint he couldn't find any kvas, a traditional Russian fermented beverage, in his local supermarket.
Was Putin looking to give the domestic kvas industry a boost at the expense of the American soda giant? If so, he may be interested to know that these days Coca-Cola's portfolio extends a long way from its core brands, and since 2008 has included - yes, you guessed it - kvas.
just-drinks is thrilled to welcome a new industry commentator to the fold. Until earlier this year, Ian Shackleton spent over 25 years as a beverages analyst with several major banks, including Credit...
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Diageo, Nolets unveil latest Ketel One campaign