Blog: Putin's Coca-Cola dig misses the mark
Andy Morton | 19 December 2014
Putin may not be a Coke fan
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced.
Now the company can add Vladimir Putin to the list.
In his annual press conference yesterday, the Russian president and former KGB head took a swipe at Coca-Cola's namesake CSD, reportedly saying: “I don't know whether Coca-Cola is a harmful drink... Many experts say it is.”
The sly dig was in response to a journalist’s complaint he couldn't find any kvas, a traditional Russian fermented beverage, in his local supermarket.
Was Putin looking to give the domestic kvas industry a boost at the expense of the American soda giant? If so, he may be interested to know that these days Coca-Cola's portfolio extends a long way from its core brands, and since 2008 has included - yes, you guessed it - kvas.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends