Blog: Put paid to that
Chris Brook-Carter | 19 April 2004
An interesting contradiction was spotted by the UK’s Daily Mail newspaper today. Allied Domecq chairman Sir Gerry Robinson, in a book tied into a BBC TV series, called I'll Show Them Who's Boss, has hit out at boardroom bonuses.
Robinson says: "Senior management bonus systems destabilise a business, cause arguments and prompt resignations. If you have one get rid of it."
However, the Daily Mail points out that in January, Robinson chaired Allied’s AGM where major shareholders objected to the firm's pay policy, including a £1m-plus bonus for chief executive Philip Bowman, taking his package to £2m.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020