Blog: Pumpkin beer - not just for Halloween?
James Wilmore | 22 October 2012
Is pumpkin beer finally making a breakthrough as a credible style in the US?
I only ask after noticing on a recent trip to New York a number of folks ordering and taking an interest in it at bars. One overheard conversation involved a 20-something guy ordering a pumpkin beer, to which his companion responded: "Pumpkin beer? Really?" The retort was: "Yeah, when it's this cold, I like the spice".
One writer suggests, until recently, it was the Blink 182 of of the beer world - "corny, commercial, not taken seriously". Or Coldplay, maybe.
But with the redoubtable Delaware-based brewer Dogfish Head among a glut of brewers getting in on the act, perhaps pumpkin ale is about to bust out of its Halloween niche?
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
Do you have a water source in your garden? By which, I mean a spring, rather than an outside tap....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Co, Castel, Molson Coors and the cachaca sector....
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Analysis - SABMiller's Australian issues continue
- Comment - Beer - What’s in a (Brand) Name?
- Molson Coors CEO exit - Mega-Merger on hold?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's H1 & Q2
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Diageo boosts exec committee
- Belvédère chairman to step down
- Diageo bags Facebook unit boss as director