Blog: Provenance - Does it REALLY matter?
Olly Wehring | 31 August 2011
I love the word 'provenance'. Or, rather, I love that, to some in our industry, it is the very meaning of life while, for others, 'provenance' is a region of France.
That Heineken's UK arm got a wrap from the country's advertising watchdog this week over misleading the consumer about Kronenbourg's provenance has served only to stoke my love for the word.
I must admit, I take tremendous pleasure in making drinks executives squirm by asking them where their provenance-emphasised (or, in some cases - Malibu? - provenance-named) brands are produced.
While Chris has said plenty on the matter earlier today, let me refer you to the opinion of a senior-placed drinks executive, who earlier this month told me that "provenance is important only if the consumer believes it is important. If it doesn't matter to the consumer where his beer comes from, then there's nothing anyone can do to make it matter."
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018