Blog: Provenance - Does it REALLY matter?
Olly Wehring | 31 August 2011
I love the word 'provenance'. Or, rather, I love that, to some in our industry, it is the very meaning of life while, for others, 'provenance' is a region of France.
That Heineken's UK arm got a wrap from the country's advertising watchdog this week over misleading the consumer about Kronenbourg's provenance has served only to stoke my love for the word.
I must admit, I take tremendous pleasure in making drinks executives squirm by asking them where their provenance-emphasised (or, in some cases - Malibu? - provenance-named) brands are produced.
While Chris has said plenty on the matter earlier today, let me refer you to the opinion of a senior-placed drinks executive, who earlier this month told me that "provenance is important only if the consumer believes it is important. If it doesn't matter to the consumer where his beer comes from, then there's nothing anyone can do to make it matter."
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review