Blog: Provenance - Does it REALLY matter?
Olly Wehring | 31 August 2011
I love the word 'provenance'. Or, rather, I love that, to some in our industry, it is the very meaning of life while, for others, 'provenance' is a region of France.
That Heineken's UK arm got a wrap from the country's advertising watchdog this week over misleading the consumer about Kronenbourg's provenance has served only to stoke my love for the word.
I must admit, I take tremendous pleasure in making drinks executives squirm by asking them where their provenance-emphasised (or, in some cases - Malibu? - provenance-named) brands are produced.
While Chris has said plenty on the matter earlier today, let me refer you to the opinion of a senior-placed drinks executive, who earlier this month told me that "provenance is important only if the consumer believes it is important. If it doesn't matter to the consumer where his beer comes from, then there's nothing anyone can do to make it matter."
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets