Blog: Provenance - Does it REALLY matter?
Olly Wehring | 31 August 2011
I love the word 'provenance'. Or, rather, I love that, to some in our industry, it is the very meaning of life while, for others, 'provenance' is a region of France.
That Heineken's UK arm got a wrap from the country's advertising watchdog this week over misleading the consumer about Kronenbourg's provenance has served only to stoke my love for the word.
I must admit, I take tremendous pleasure in making drinks executives squirm by asking them where their provenance-emphasised (or, in some cases - Malibu? - provenance-named) brands are produced.
While Chris has said plenty on the matter earlier today, let me refer you to the opinion of a senior-placed drinks executive, who earlier this month told me that "provenance is important only if the consumer believes it is important. If it doesn't matter to the consumer where his beer comes from, then there's nothing anyone can do to make it matter."
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends