Blog: Provenance - Does it REALLY matter?
Olly Wehring | 31 August 2011
I love the word 'provenance'. Or, rather, I love that, to some in our industry, it is the very meaning of life while, for others, 'provenance' is a region of France.
That Heineken's UK arm got a wrap from the country's advertising watchdog this week over misleading the consumer about Kronenbourg's provenance has served only to stoke my love for the word.
I must admit, I take tremendous pleasure in making drinks executives squirm by asking them where their provenance-emphasised (or, in some cases - Malibu? - provenance-named) brands are produced.
While Chris has said plenty on the matter earlier today, let me refer you to the opinion of a senior-placed drinks executive, who earlier this month told me that "provenance is important only if the consumer believes it is important. If it doesn't matter to the consumer where his beer comes from, then there's nothing anyone can do to make it matter."
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends