Blog: Press Releases - we love them because we hate them
Olly Wehring | 19 March 2007
Many of you will already know the fun we here at just-drinks get ploughing through your press releases – a snip here, a snip there, it’s all fun, fun, fun.
The first thing we do is pull out the adjectives because, by golly, if we were to describe one of your competitor’s products as “delightful”, “delicate” and “de-lovely” (I’ve seen it once), then you’d never believe another word we type. Then, we look at trimming sentences down into bite-size chunks that you could read out loud in one breath. Finally, we look at boiling the details of the release down to the facts and discarding the whimsy.
But sometimes, I believe, a release should be left as is – here are some excerpts from one such release.
Herschelle Gibbs of South Africa today (16 March) achieved the remarkable feat of hitting six ‘sixes’ in a single over against the Netherlands, and in so doing earned a US$1m donation that will be awarded to Habitat for Humanity thanks to Johnnie Walker the world’s best-selling brand of Scotch whisky and an official sponsor of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007.
“It’s just a marvellous achievement. For Johnnie Walker to come up with the $1m ‘Six Sixes Challenge’ certainly acted as a huge incentive to the players,” exclaimed Sir Vivian Richards. “Herschelle Gibbs was one of the players who I thought could achieve the feat and I’m delighted he’s done it.”
“Diageo, the parent company of Johnnie Walker, along with Sir Vivian Richards, our ‘Know Your Boundaries’ responsible drinking ambassador, couldn’t be more thrilled with donating US$1m to Habitat for Humanity in our efforts to enrich the Caribbean community,” continued Randy Millian, managing director for Diageo’s Latin America & Carbbean hub. “We offer our sincere congratulations to Herschelle Gibbs for this most outstanding accomplishment …Keep Walking!”
Of course, I mean this only as a gentle dig. Hats off to Johnnie Walker for its fantastic (my own adjective) donation to the Caribbean home-building charity.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research