Blog: Press Releases - we love them because we hate them
Olly Wehring | 19 March 2007
Many of you will already know the fun we here at just-drinks get ploughing through your press releases – a snip here, a snip there, it’s all fun, fun, fun.
The first thing we do is pull out the adjectives because, by golly, if we were to describe one of your competitor’s products as “delightful”, “delicate” and “de-lovely” (I’ve seen it once), then you’d never believe another word we type. Then, we look at trimming sentences down into bite-size chunks that you could read out loud in one breath. Finally, we look at boiling the details of the release down to the facts and discarding the whimsy.
But sometimes, I believe, a release should be left as is – here are some excerpts from one such release.
Herschelle Gibbs of South Africa today (16 March) achieved the remarkable feat of hitting six ‘sixes’ in a single over against the Netherlands, and in so doing earned a US$1m donation that will be awarded to Habitat for Humanity thanks to Johnnie Walker the world’s best-selling brand of Scotch whisky and an official sponsor of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007.
“It’s just a marvellous achievement. For Johnnie Walker to come up with the $1m ‘Six Sixes Challenge’ certainly acted as a huge incentive to the players,” exclaimed Sir Vivian Richards. “Herschelle Gibbs was one of the players who I thought could achieve the feat and I’m delighted he’s done it.”
“Diageo, the parent company of Johnnie Walker, along with Sir Vivian Richards, our ‘Know Your Boundaries’ responsible drinking ambassador, couldn’t be more thrilled with donating US$1m to Habitat for Humanity in our efforts to enrich the Caribbean community,” continued Randy Millian, managing director for Diageo’s Latin America & Carbbean hub. “We offer our sincere congratulations to Herschelle Gibbs for this most outstanding accomplishment …Keep Walking!”
Of course, I mean this only as a gentle dig. Hats off to Johnnie Walker for its fantastic (my own adjective) donation to the Caribbean home-building charity.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets