Blog: Press Releases - we love them because we hate them
Olly Wehring | 19 March 2007
Many of you will already know the fun we here at just-drinks get ploughing through your press releases – a snip here, a snip there, it’s all fun, fun, fun.
The first thing we do is pull out the adjectives because, by golly, if we were to describe one of your competitor’s products as “delightful”, “delicate” and “de-lovely” (I’ve seen it once), then you’d never believe another word we type. Then, we look at trimming sentences down into bite-size chunks that you could read out loud in one breath. Finally, we look at boiling the details of the release down to the facts and discarding the whimsy.
But sometimes, I believe, a release should be left as is – here are some excerpts from one such release.
Herschelle Gibbs of South Africa today (16 March) achieved the remarkable feat of hitting six ‘sixes’ in a single over against the Netherlands, and in so doing earned a US$1m donation that will be awarded to Habitat for Humanity thanks to Johnnie Walker the world’s best-selling brand of Scotch whisky and an official sponsor of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007.
“It’s just a marvellous achievement. For Johnnie Walker to come up with the $1m ‘Six Sixes Challenge’ certainly acted as a huge incentive to the players,” exclaimed Sir Vivian Richards. “Herschelle Gibbs was one of the players who I thought could achieve the feat and I’m delighted he’s done it.”
“Diageo, the parent company of Johnnie Walker, along with Sir Vivian Richards, our ‘Know Your Boundaries’ responsible drinking ambassador, couldn’t be more thrilled with donating US$1m to Habitat for Humanity in our efforts to enrich the Caribbean community,” continued Randy Millian, managing director for Diageo’s Latin America & Carbbean hub. “We offer our sincere congratulations to Herschelle Gibbs for this most outstanding accomplishment …Keep Walking!”
Of course, I mean this only as a gentle dig. Hats off to Johnnie Walker for its fantastic (my own adjective) donation to the Caribbean home-building charity.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends