Blog: Prejudice or prudence over Tsingtao?
Chris Mercer | 21 January 2011
Tsingtao is throwing out its foreign auditors, who obviously know best, and is replacing them with ones based in mainland China. Inevitably, then, the brewer's results will not be trustworthy from here on in.
This has been the gist of much media chatter over the past week, following news that Tsingtao would use a local branch of PricewaterhouseCoopers in China to audit its results - instead of auditors based in Hong Kong.
Some of the reaction to Tsingtao is, at best, patronising and, at worst, prejudiced. China's quite new to all this finance stuff, isn't it?
While I understand that there are legitimate concerns about transparency in China on a range of issues, this doesn't mean that we should assume Tsingtao is going to get straight down to fiddling the books at the first opportunity.
Thank goodness for "prominent shareholder activist" David Webb, who became the voice of reason in one AFP report. "I don't think they're going to let just any firm do this work," he said, observing that China, on balance, probably doesn't want its own version of Enron, thank you very much. "They don't want a huge embarrassment on their hands," said Webb.
No, and I bet Japan's Asahi Breweries could do without it, as well.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Scotch Whisky Top 20 Export Markets 2014
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Moet Hennessy sells Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly