Blog: Preaching to a captive audience
Chris Brook-Carter | 26 October 2004
Men are notorious for their reluctance to chat whilst standing at a urinal. Not for men the trip to the loo in pairs, oh no. It could be your long-lost brother standing next to you while you relieve yourself, he still wouldn’t warrant more than a nod and an “Alright?”
But the male lavatories’ silence is set to be broken.
Talking urinals are being tested in Montreal, Canada. The Wizmark, a small plastic disc with flashing lights and a microprocessor-powered larynx, will soon be residing at the base of urinals at 100 bars and nightclubs in and around the city.
Bearing a Molson logo on a target motif, the ‘interactive urinal communicators’ - or Uricoms, as they’re known in French - are motion-activated to sound a siren and say “The cold shot of Molson Dry at 6.5% alcohol – It’s legal.” In French.
Words fail me - and I'm not even standing at a urinal.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends