Blog: Preaching to a captive audience
Chris Brook-Carter | 26 October 2004
Men are notorious for their reluctance to chat whilst standing at a urinal. Not for men the trip to the loo in pairs, oh no. It could be your long-lost brother standing next to you while you relieve yourself, he still wouldn’t warrant more than a nod and an “Alright?”
But the male lavatories’ silence is set to be broken.
Talking urinals are being tested in Montreal, Canada. The Wizmark, a small plastic disc with flashing lights and a microprocessor-powered larynx, will soon be residing at the base of urinals at 100 bars and nightclubs in and around the city.
Bearing a Molson logo on a target motif, the ‘interactive urinal communicators’ - or Uricoms, as they’re known in French - are motion-activated to sound a siren and say “The cold shot of Molson Dry at 6.5% alcohol – It’s legal.” In French.
Words fail me - and I'm not even standing at a urinal.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends