Blog: Preaching to a captive audience
Chris Brook-Carter | 26 October 2004
Men are notorious for their reluctance to chat whilst standing at a urinal. Not for men the trip to the loo in pairs, oh no. It could be your long-lost brother standing next to you while you relieve yourself, he still wouldn’t warrant more than a nod and an “Alright?”
But the male lavatories’ silence is set to be broken.
Talking urinals are being tested in Montreal, Canada. The Wizmark, a small plastic disc with flashing lights and a microprocessor-powered larynx, will soon be residing at the base of urinals at 100 bars and nightclubs in and around the city.
Bearing a Molson logo on a target motif, the ‘interactive urinal communicators’ - or Uricoms, as they’re known in French - are motion-activated to sound a siren and say “The cold shot of Molson Dry at 6.5% alcohol – It’s legal.” In French.
Words fail me - and I'm not even standing at a urinal.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Altria raises Anheuser-Busch InBev holding
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends