Blog: Postcard from Cape Town - #1
Olly Wehring | 24 September 2008
Greetings from South Africa, where we're into day two of Cape Wine 2008. This biennial, three-day event started yesterday (23 September) and is being held at the International Conference Centre in Cape Town.
I've actually been here since last Friday (19 September), as a guest of Wines of South Africa, and I'll be taking the opportunity to play tourist over the coming weekend. Highlights of the trip so far have included a glass or two of bubbles atop Table Mountain in the sunshine on Saturday, the clearing of cobwebs with a fly-fishing trip the following morning, cooking our own dinner with Constellation last night and a helicopter ride earlier today out of Cape Town to the Fairhills wine projects (sadly cut short by rain).
The fair itself is also pretty good, with folk from wine companies from around the country eager to share their thoughts. I'm here to write up an overview/SWOT analysis on the South African wine market (some of you - okay, I mean, my mother - may remember the Argentina and California reports I've written in recent years).
If you've an opinion you'd like to air on this sector, or if you're at the show and would like to bend my ear personally, then drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meantime, here's the obligatory shot of me doing something swanky, in this case, waiting for the cable car to Table Mountain. Don't hate me.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research