Blog: Postcard from Cape Town - #1
Olly Wehring | 24 September 2008
Greetings from South Africa, where we're into day two of Cape Wine 2008. This biennial, three-day event started yesterday (23 September) and is being held at the International Conference Centre in Cape Town.
I've actually been here since last Friday (19 September), as a guest of Wines of South Africa, and I'll be taking the opportunity to play tourist over the coming weekend. Highlights of the trip so far have included a glass or two of bubbles atop Table Mountain in the sunshine on Saturday, the clearing of cobwebs with a fly-fishing trip the following morning, cooking our own dinner with Constellation last night and a helicopter ride earlier today out of Cape Town to the Fairhills wine projects (sadly cut short by rain).
The fair itself is also pretty good, with folk from wine companies from around the country eager to share their thoughts. I'm here to write up an overview/SWOT analysis on the South African wine market (some of you - okay, I mean, my mother - may remember the Argentina and California reports I've written in recent years).
If you've an opinion you'd like to air on this sector, or if you're at the show and would like to bend my ear personally, then drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meantime, here's the obligatory shot of me doing something swanky, in this case, waiting for the cable car to Table Mountain. Don't hate me.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits