Blog: Pomegreat told to keep a lid on it
Olly Wehring | 19 December 2006
Should Pomegreat be seen to have overstepped the advertising line by communicating its medicinal credentials in an advertorial piece?
The thriving UK new boy wrote that its pomegranate product could improve heart health, reduce the risk of strokes and slim the chances of prostate cancer. In response, the UK’s Advertising Standards Authority ruled late last week that it had made illegal medicinal claims.
Understandably, the ASA is keen to keep tested medicines on a different playing field to other products. But as food and drinks companies find answers to consumer concerns over health and obesity, the question is whether advertising standards should be so black and white.
With the emergence of natural, organic, and functional products, more leeway is needed for manufacturers to communicate the worth of such brands. Surely, this would also be consistent with the Governmental obsession with responsible advertising.
In the meantime, the Pomegreat example shows that less healthy drinks and alcohol are not the only subject of marketing clampdowns, the healthier end of the soft drinks spectrum has to be careful about over-zealous ads too.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research