Blog: Pomegreat told to keep a lid on it
Olly Wehring | 19 December 2006
Should Pomegreat be seen to have overstepped the advertising line by communicating its medicinal credentials in an advertorial piece?
The thriving UK new boy wrote that its pomegranate product could improve heart health, reduce the risk of strokes and slim the chances of prostate cancer. In response, the UK’s Advertising Standards Authority ruled late last week that it had made illegal medicinal claims.
Understandably, the ASA is keen to keep tested medicines on a different playing field to other products. But as food and drinks companies find answers to consumer concerns over health and obesity, the question is whether advertising standards should be so black and white.
With the emergence of natural, organic, and functional products, more leeway is needed for manufacturers to communicate the worth of such brands. Surely, this would also be consistent with the Governmental obsession with responsible advertising.
In the meantime, the Pomegreat example shows that less healthy drinks and alcohol are not the only subject of marketing clampdowns, the healthier end of the soft drinks spectrum has to be careful about over-zealous ads too.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research