Blog: Political grapevine
Chris Brook-Carter | 18 May 2004
Australia’s politically-conservative prime minister, John Howard, has equally conservative wine tastes.
A novel use of freedom of information legislation established that there were just 31 dozen wines in the cellar of his official Sydney residence.
They tilted towards Western Australian Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc white blends, mid-range Cabernet Sauvignon and sparkling wines. Official visitors expecting a showcase of the leading wine exporting nation’s top Shiraz, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay or Muscats are doomed to disappointment... or a visit to a nearby restaurant.
No wine was valued above A$72 (US$49) a bottle.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends