Blog: Policing drinks adverts on Facebook? Good luck!
Chris Mercer | 1 September 2010
I don't envy the UK Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) one bit, and not only because of its line of work. Its new rules on digital advertising could have the watchdog chasing its tail.
Policing the internet has become akin to chasing a virtual goose across the cyber-planet. It conjures up images of some of the grandest dictatorships in the world continually locked in a struggle with some whizz-kid hacker in a stale bedroom.
The internet's infinite depth, lack of respect for national boundaries and ability to afford relative anonymity to streetwise users mean that the UK's ASA will start on the backfoot when it begins to police online drinks marketing more thoroughly in March. Thanks to the UK's dastardly freedom of expression culture, the ASA won't even have the autocratic arsenal of the likes of China or Iran at its disposal.
It was inevitable that authorities would seek to control online marketing more strictly, given the growth in digital advertising. In fact, the UK has gone about it several times more sensibly than France, which simply banned all online advertising for alcoholic drinks while it pontificated on what to do.
However, chasing down individual websites and scouring Facebook to decide whether some guerrilla marketing campaign is "user-generated" or can be traced back to a company is not going to be easy. In the age of austerity, will the ASA have the resources to make this work?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends