Blog: Policing drinks adverts on Facebook? Good luck!
Chris Mercer | 1 September 2010
I don't envy the UK Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) one bit, and not only because of its line of work. Its new rules on digital advertising could have the watchdog chasing its tail.
Policing the internet has become akin to chasing a virtual goose across the cyber-planet. It conjures up images of some of the grandest dictatorships in the world continually locked in a struggle with some whizz-kid hacker in a stale bedroom.
The internet's infinite depth, lack of respect for national boundaries and ability to afford relative anonymity to streetwise users mean that the UK's ASA will start on the backfoot when it begins to police online drinks marketing more thoroughly in March. Thanks to the UK's dastardly freedom of expression culture, the ASA won't even have the autocratic arsenal of the likes of China or Iran at its disposal.
It was inevitable that authorities would seek to control online marketing more strictly, given the growth in digital advertising. In fact, the UK has gone about it several times more sensibly than France, which simply banned all online advertising for alcoholic drinks while it pontificated on what to do.
However, chasing down individual websites and scouring Facebook to decide whether some guerrilla marketing campaign is "user-generated" or can be traced back to a company is not going to be easy. In the age of austerity, will the ASA have the resources to make this work?
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review