Blog: PLW ping pong
Chris Brook-Carter | 25 September 2003
The battle for Peter Lehmann Wines is beginning to feel like a game of financial ping pong, and one which seems to be doing none of the participants any good, least of all the ball, Peter Lehmann Wines. The comments yesterday by founder Peter Lehmann about the ability of the company's independent directors (who initially backed the Allied bid) to carry on in their roles, suggests the eventual winner is going to inherit a company battered and bruised by this process.
The motives of any of the players in this drama are hard to read, particularly Allied, which, should it win, will be paying for one of the most expensive wine assets in recent history.
A leading figure in the Australian wine industry whom I spoke with on Monday, suggested that Peter Lehmann Wines just doesn't control the grape supplies to make the volumes Allied will need to sell to justify this price. However, he suggested this could be the start of something for the company in Australia and if Allied could secure the amount of grapes it will need by perhaps making other acquisitions - in particular McGuigan-Simeon - the Bristol-based giant could still make this deal pay.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research