Blog: PLW ping pong
Chris Brook-Carter | 25 September 2003
The battle for Peter Lehmann Wines is beginning to feel like a game of financial ping pong, and one which seems to be doing none of the participants any good, least of all the ball, Peter Lehmann Wines. The comments yesterday by founder Peter Lehmann about the ability of the company's independent directors (who initially backed the Allied bid) to carry on in their roles, suggests the eventual winner is going to inherit a company battered and bruised by this process.
The motives of any of the players in this drama are hard to read, particularly Allied, which, should it win, will be paying for one of the most expensive wine assets in recent history.
A leading figure in the Australian wine industry whom I spoke with on Monday, suggested that Peter Lehmann Wines just doesn't control the grape supplies to make the volumes Allied will need to sell to justify this price. However, he suggested this could be the start of something for the company in Australia and if Allied could secure the amount of grapes it will need by perhaps making other acquisitions - in particular McGuigan-Simeon - the Bristol-based giant could still make this deal pay.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets