Blog: Playing swap-sies with Foster's boss
Olly Wehring | 5 October 2006
Into London yesterday, to meet the Foster’s Group CEO Trevor O’Hoy for the first time.
Despite being quietly-spoken, O’Hoy was certainly not backward at coming forward, and fielded all questions with a straight bat. Most noticeable was his response to my query about whether Foster’s would look to change its name in the future. After all, having sold the rights to the Foster’s beer brand in several markets recently, is the name not a little redundant nowadays?
“The name Foster’s gets us access to people like you (I’m hoping he means journalists) and also to shareholders,” he said. “Foster’s as a name is actually bigger than it really is – it’s very well-known. We see it as a net positive at the moment. You’ve got to have something to hang on to!”
When I asked him what potential names he’d consider, he smiled: “What’s Diageo backwards?”
“Actually, just-drinks is quite an apt name,” he added, glancing at my name badge. “I’ll swap you ‘just-drinks’ for our brewing interests in Vietnam, if you like!”
I would, Trevor, but the commute would probably kill me.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- The European beer market - Focus
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Sazerac poaches ex-Diageo government director