Blog: Playing swap-sies with Foster's boss
Olly Wehring | 5 October 2006
Into London yesterday, to meet the Foster’s Group CEO Trevor O’Hoy for the first time.
Despite being quietly-spoken, O’Hoy was certainly not backward at coming forward, and fielded all questions with a straight bat. Most noticeable was his response to my query about whether Foster’s would look to change its name in the future. After all, having sold the rights to the Foster’s beer brand in several markets recently, is the name not a little redundant nowadays?
“The name Foster’s gets us access to people like you (I’m hoping he means journalists) and also to shareholders,” he said. “Foster’s as a name is actually bigger than it really is – it’s very well-known. We see it as a net positive at the moment. You’ve got to have something to hang on to!”
When I asked him what potential names he’d consider, he smiled: “What’s Diageo backwards?”
“Actually, just-drinks is quite an apt name,” he added, glancing at my name badge. “I’ll swap you ‘just-drinks’ for our brewing interests in Vietnam, if you like!”
I would, Trevor, but the commute would probably kill me.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Irish whisky exports forecast to double by 2020
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits