Blog: Playing swap-sies with Foster's boss
Olly Wehring | 5 October 2006
Into London yesterday, to meet the Foster’s Group CEO Trevor O’Hoy for the first time.
Despite being quietly-spoken, O’Hoy was certainly not backward at coming forward, and fielded all questions with a straight bat. Most noticeable was his response to my query about whether Foster’s would look to change its name in the future. After all, having sold the rights to the Foster’s beer brand in several markets recently, is the name not a little redundant nowadays?
“The name Foster’s gets us access to people like you (I’m hoping he means journalists) and also to shareholders,” he said. “Foster’s as a name is actually bigger than it really is – it’s very well-known. We see it as a net positive at the moment. You’ve got to have something to hang on to!”
When I asked him what potential names he’d consider, he smiled: “What’s Diageo backwards?”
“Actually, just-drinks is quite an apt name,” he added, glancing at my name badge. “I’ll swap you ‘just-drinks’ for our brewing interests in Vietnam, if you like!”
I would, Trevor, but the commute would probably kill me.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future