Blog: Pinning a price on Foster's wine arm
Chris Mercer | 2 June 2010
Watching analysts attempt to put a price tag on Foster's wine business is a bit like watching a blindfolded drunkard play 'pin the tail on the donkey'.
And yes, I have seen one.
Foster's Group's decision to demerge is wine and beer businesses, announced last week, sparked initial speculation on a sell-off and then further chatter on the divisions' value.
A week later and the one thing we can conclude is that, for wine, no one is really sure what the value will be.
According to a report in the Australian newspaper yesterday (1 June), some analysts think that Foster's wine division is only worth AUD1.5bn, while others think the value is closer to AUD4bn.
A major sticking point is deciding on whether the wine business should be valued on earnings or on assets.
The other factor is that Foster's does not plan to demerge the businesses until the first half of calendar 2011, at the earliest.
The wine division's value could fluctuate depending on the progress of new distribution deals recently signed by Foster's in the key US market, and also on the group's progress in selling off non-core vineyards and brands.
There is also every chance that the wine business could be broken up in any takeover deal, with no single buyer willing to take on the whole portfolio.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends