Blog: Pills instead of Pils?
Chris Brook-Carter | 19 May 2005
The days of binge drinking as a British obsession are set to become a thing of the past.
Researchers in the US found that a group of twenty-something drinkers seemed to lose the desire to binge-drink when they took pills made from kudzu, a vine from the southern states of the country.
The ‘guinea pigs’ were required to kick back and chill out in an ‘apartment’ complete with television, recliner and fridge stocked with beer. Not the toughest of medical experiment to suffer, then.
Scientists at Harvard-affiliated McLean Hospital found that those who took kudzu pills drank an average of 1.8 beers per 90-minutes session, compared to the 3.5 beers consumed by those who took a placebo.
Of course, as my grandmother used to say, they have pills for everything these days.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends