Blog: Pest control
Chris Brook-Carter | 8 November 2004
Coca-Cola may have a new image problem, according to stories coming out of India, although should sales of carbonates continue to fall, Coke’s management may do well to exploit this new trend.
Cotton farmers in some Indian villages are buying up stocks Coca-Cola and Pepsi, believing that the sugar in the fizzy drinks kills pests.
According to Reuters, farmers say scientists advised them to mix pesticides with a sugary syrup to control pests, and they found the mixture cheaper and more effective than pure chemicals.
Of course Coke and Pepsi have denied the claims. But the local man who pioneered this alternative use for cola is already something of a celebrity. His crop survived an attack of pests which had resisted other remedies.
"We found that all the colas had uniform effect on pests. The pests became numb and fell to ground," he said.
He said the drinks had all the elements they needed: they were cheaper, sticky, fizzy, and attracted ants, which devoured the larvae of the pests. You can't buy that sort of publicity!
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends