Blog: Perrier gets a new rival?
Chris Mercer | 22 September 2010
France's once free-flowing love affair with bottled water has slowed to a trickle in recent years and authorities are keen to stem it completely - by trialling a new style of public fountain.
Parisians are being offered free sparkling water, as much as they can drink, from a newly-installed fountain in the French capital. The city's public water board, Eau de Paris, opened its 'La Petillante' fountain in the 12ieme arrondissement yesterday (21 September).
Using a carbonation system developed and trialled in Italy, the fountain could be a central part of French authorities' desire to wean more people off their beloved bottled water - for the sake, they say, of the environment.
It all depends on whether Eau de Paris can impress its Parisian consumers - a tough bunch to please at the best of times.
One woman was quoted as saying that the water tasted "une peu comme Perrier". My guess is that Nestle probably doesn't have to start worrying about brand loyalty just yet, however.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends