Blog: Pernod Ricard's Havanista remains poised to capitalise post-embargo
James Wilmore | 27 February 2015
Havanista - on sale at the Havana Club Rum Museum
Spotted in Havana this week - a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum.
The brand, which is the same as Havana Club 7-Year-Old in all but name, is still being sold in the company's visitor shop at the Havana Club museum in the Cuban capital. It's the only place in the world, currently, where the rum is sold under this moniker.
The story of the label is a complex one, but it is Pernod's chance to launch immediately back into the US market when the country lifts its near-55-year-old trade embargo on Cuba. The prospects have been raised after December's initial move to normalise relations.
Pernod Ricard and its JV partner, state-owned Cuba Ron, still has hopes it can get back the Havana Club name in the US, but remains prevented from doing so due to a long-running legal battle with Bacardi over the name. Bacardi currently sells a small amount of rum under the Havana Club name in Florida.
Speaking to just-drinks in Havana this week, Jerome Cottin-Bizonne, Havana Club's director general, acknowledged that Havanista could be regarded as an insurance policy if it fails to get back the trademark in the US. “We want to be sure we will be number one company in the US selling 100% Cuban rum in the US,” he said.
Just-drinks did not see Havanista exactly flying off the shelf and Cottin-Bizonne insisted it was being sold more for collectors then an attempt to build the brand. “Havanista is Havana Club and people know that already,” he said.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Alcohol sold in a central Indian state will have to carry health warnings as part of a raft of government measures to curb consumption, according to reports....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Bacardi's namesake brand has teamed up with musicians Major Lazer to roll out a year-long collaboration called The Sound of Rum. ...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends