Blog: Pernod FY - a little bit good, a little bit bad
Olly Wehring | 1 August 2007
Pernod Ricard's full-year figures, released late last week, suggested that the French company has both good and bad on its plate.
A stronger performance in its home market gave Pernod cause to cheer, certainly, as did an 11% organic lift in sales from its spirits portfolio. However, sales in Asia took a knock from a disappointing performance in Thailand, where the political situation has not lent itself to a lively market place for drinks. And, with the wine portfolio delivering only 1.3% growth in the year, there certainly remain causes for concern for Pernod.
One way to make the balance book look healthy, of course, is to go shopping - just ask Constellation, for example. Indeed, with Absolut expected to come up for sale in the coming months, Pernod has already expressed its interest in the Swedish vodka brand.
Pernod is aware, however, that it will prove tough to keep hold of Stolichnaya at the same time. Managing director Pierre Pringuet conceded that Pernod would struggle on both the financial and regulatory fronts to have two vodka brands in its portfolio. Which one it eventually favours will prove interesting reading – we’ll keep you posted.
In the meantime, click here for an in-depth analysis of Pernod's full-year sales results.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Coca-Cola Co apologises over Fanta ad
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future