Blog: Pernod FY - a little bit good, a little bit bad
Olly Wehring | 1 August 2007
Pernod Ricard's full-year figures, released late last week, suggested that the French company has both good and bad on its plate.
A stronger performance in its home market gave Pernod cause to cheer, certainly, as did an 11% organic lift in sales from its spirits portfolio. However, sales in Asia took a knock from a disappointing performance in Thailand, where the political situation has not lent itself to a lively market place for drinks. And, with the wine portfolio delivering only 1.3% growth in the year, there certainly remain causes for concern for Pernod.
One way to make the balance book look healthy, of course, is to go shopping - just ask Constellation, for example. Indeed, with Absolut expected to come up for sale in the coming months, Pernod has already expressed its interest in the Swedish vodka brand.
Pernod is aware, however, that it will prove tough to keep hold of Stolichnaya at the same time. Managing director Pierre Pringuet conceded that Pernod would struggle on both the financial and regulatory fronts to have two vodka brands in its portfolio. Which one it eventually favours will prove interesting reading – we’ll keep you posted.
In the meantime, click here for an in-depth analysis of Pernod's full-year sales results.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future