Blog: Pernod FY - a little bit good, a little bit bad
Olly Wehring | 1 August 2007
Pernod Ricard's full-year figures, released late last week, suggested that the French company has both good and bad on its plate.
A stronger performance in its home market gave Pernod cause to cheer, certainly, as did an 11% organic lift in sales from its spirits portfolio. However, sales in Asia took a knock from a disappointing performance in Thailand, where the political situation has not lent itself to a lively market place for drinks. And, with the wine portfolio delivering only 1.3% growth in the year, there certainly remain causes for concern for Pernod.
One way to make the balance book look healthy, of course, is to go shopping - just ask Constellation, for example. Indeed, with Absolut expected to come up for sale in the coming months, Pernod has already expressed its interest in the Swedish vodka brand.
Pernod is aware, however, that it will prove tough to keep hold of Stolichnaya at the same time. Managing director Pierre Pringuet conceded that Pernod would struggle on both the financial and regulatory fronts to have two vodka brands in its portfolio. Which one it eventually favours will prove interesting reading – we’ll keep you posted.
In the meantime, click here for an in-depth analysis of Pernod's full-year sales results.
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- just Five Years Ago - The Birth of Accolade Wines
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research