Blog: Pernod FY - a little bit good, a little bit bad
Olly Wehring | 1 August 2007
Pernod Ricard's full-year figures, released late last week, suggested that the French company has both good and bad on its plate.
A stronger performance in its home market gave Pernod cause to cheer, certainly, as did an 11% organic lift in sales from its spirits portfolio. However, sales in Asia took a knock from a disappointing performance in Thailand, where the political situation has not lent itself to a lively market place for drinks. And, with the wine portfolio delivering only 1.3% growth in the year, there certainly remain causes for concern for Pernod.
One way to make the balance book look healthy, of course, is to go shopping - just ask Constellation, for example. Indeed, with Absolut expected to come up for sale in the coming months, Pernod has already expressed its interest in the Swedish vodka brand.
Pernod is aware, however, that it will prove tough to keep hold of Stolichnaya at the same time. Managing director Pierre Pringuet conceded that Pernod would struggle on both the financial and regulatory fronts to have two vodka brands in its portfolio. Which one it eventually favours will prove interesting reading – we’ll keep you posted.
In the meantime, click here for an in-depth analysis of Pernod's full-year sales results.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets