Blog: Pernod FY - a little bit good, a little bit bad
Olly Wehring | 1 August 2007
Pernod Ricard's full-year figures, released late last week, suggested that the French company has both good and bad on its plate.
A stronger performance in its home market gave Pernod cause to cheer, certainly, as did an 11% organic lift in sales from its spirits portfolio. However, sales in Asia took a knock from a disappointing performance in Thailand, where the political situation has not lent itself to a lively market place for drinks. And, with the wine portfolio delivering only 1.3% growth in the year, there certainly remain causes for concern for Pernod.
One way to make the balance book look healthy, of course, is to go shopping - just ask Constellation, for example. Indeed, with Absolut expected to come up for sale in the coming months, Pernod has already expressed its interest in the Swedish vodka brand.
Pernod is aware, however, that it will prove tough to keep hold of Stolichnaya at the same time. Managing director Pierre Pringuet conceded that Pernod would struggle on both the financial and regulatory fronts to have two vodka brands in its portfolio. Which one it eventually favours will prove interesting reading – we’ll keep you posted.
In the meantime, click here for an in-depth analysis of Pernod's full-year sales results.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research