Blog: Pernod & co see light at the end of the tunnel
Olly Wehring | 21 October 2009
Another day, another arduous task presented to just-drinks at TFWA expo in Cannes. Last night, we forced down a five-course Pernod Ricard dinner, while chewing the proverbial fat on everything from the economy to French civilisation.
We agree with analysts that Pernod is likely to post a fall in first quarter net sales in its results statement due tomorrow (21 October), but there was a sense of renewed optimism among company executives at last night's dinner.
Indeed, there has been a general sense of this at the show this week. Perhaps it is more relief that, a year on from watching the financial world collapse like a house of cards, most people are still alive and kicking.
At the same time, there is genuine optimism that we are through the worst of what has been a very tough time. In Western Europe, France and Germany returned to quarterly gross domestic product growth over the summer, while in Asia, the dip looks as though it will be more short-lived than the doomsayers had predicted.
What makes the optimists cautious is that Governments remain saddled with debt after bailing out their banking systems and that unemployment has continued to rise in most mature markets.
The fear is that, although drinks firms present in Cannes this week are talking of a light at the end of the tunnel, it may yet prove to be a false dawn. And, even if it doesn't, no one is quite sure how long it will take for us to reach it.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits