Blog: PepsiCo's 'drinkify' is no core strategy, but has Asian appeal
Andy Morton | 2 January 2013
The term 'Drinkify' popped up in a few end-of-year review lists, but it seems the new trend for “liquid snacks” apparently being pushed by PepsiCo's CEO Indra Nooyi is neither new nor trending.
The Financial Times flagged up the term last month after Nooyi mentioned it in an industry conference speech. The newspaper said PepsiCo was embarking on a strategy of combining its food and beverages to come up with products such as drinkable oatmeal. Before too long, other media picked up on the report and were running with the idea, often towards some rather imaginative Dr Moreau-style snack and drink hybrids. Think Pepsi-flavoured crisps or Frito-laced cola, if you dare.
Turns out PepsiCo have been thinking along these lines for some time now, since at least 2010, when it bought Russian dairy, baby food and juice manufacturer Wimm-Bill-Dann, a company spokesperson told me. The FT report “was wrong and taken out of context”, the spokesperson said. “The background is that it's not a core strategy. It was just a one-liner at a beverage conference.”
That's not to say we'll never get the chance to try out Diet Frito Pepsi, though we may have to live in Asia. Innovation is a big deal to PepsiCo in developing markets, as shown by the opening of a US$40m research & development centre in Shanghai in November.
The company is proud of the brand loyalty it has built up in China through aggressive marketing and hopes combining those brands can bring exponential rewards. Tastes in Asia differ from PepsiCo's core US market - check out these cheese lobster Lays - and it will use the R&D hub to test what works and what doesn't. Maybe cheese-flavoured soft drinks is just what the region has been waiting for.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research