Blog: PepsiCo wakes up and smells the latte
Andy Morton | 20 January 2016
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, slipped under the radar.
In the short talk, Kaufman discusses the role Pepsi plays in our new sugar-aware world, how the pace of change in the beverage industry has quickened and what we can expect from the Pepsi-sponsored Super Bowl half-time show next month (a dip into the past, present and future, apparently).
Though Kaufman has only been in the post three months, he already talks like a CMO. There is a lot about “journeys” and two references to a “pop-culture moment”, whatever that might be. He also revealed the new coffee-themed buzzword in the PepsiCo marketing department - latte.
It stands for local, authentic, transparent, traceable and ethical and, according to Kaufman, this is what consumers now want from their products.
This, of course, has been the watchword for a few years in the spirits market and is only now - as consumers ditch CSDs over health fears - making the jump into soft drinks. Still, it's better latte than never, PepsiCo.
Watch the video here to find out more
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
It is ironic that one of the newest beverage ingredient trends is linked to one of the oldest ingredients in traditional south Asian medicine. Ashwagandha has been a prized ingredient in Ayurvedic med...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Earlier today, The Coca-Cola Co reported its first-quarter results, with organic sales and volumes growth both flat in the period. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's performance by...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World