Blog: PepsiCo wakes up and smells the latte
Andy Morton | 20 January 2016
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, slipped under the radar.
In the short talk, Kaufman discusses the role Pepsi plays in our new sugar-aware world, how the pace of change in the beverage industry has quickened and what we can expect from the Pepsi-sponsored Super Bowl half-time show next month (a dip into the past, present and future, apparently).
Though Kaufman has only been in the post three months, he already talks like a CMO. There is a lot about “journeys” and two references to a “pop-culture moment”, whatever that might be. He also revealed the new coffee-themed buzzword in the PepsiCo marketing department - latte.
It stands for local, authentic, transparent, traceable and ethical and, according to Kaufman, this is what consumers now want from their products.
This, of course, has been the watchword for a few years in the spirits market and is only now - as consumers ditch CSDs over health fears - making the jump into soft drinks. Still, it's better latte than never, PepsiCo.
Watch the video here to find out more
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research