Blog: PepsiCo reveals 1893 Pepsi - video
Andy Morton | 21 March 2016
PepsiCo has unveiled footage of its upcoming soda, Pepsi 1893.
A video on Twitter gives substance to the reports from late last year that the company was to launch a “craft” Pepsi in an attempt to woo Millennials. The short clip shows a bartender in what looks like a cocktail lounge serve up a long-glassed 1893 with the slogan “Boldly Served Colas”. Two flavours are featured, Original Cola and Ginger Cola.
PepsiCo did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The ad also reveals that 1893 is made with kola nut extract, sparkling water and “real” sugar, the same pared-down recipe PepsiCo boasted about for its Caleb's Kola. 1893 also shares Caleb's nod to the Pepsi roots - the year is when a predecessor to Pepsi was first launched and Caleb's is named after Caleb Bradham, the inventor of the Pepsi formula.
What's different, however, is the Pepsi branding, meaning PepsiCo is bringing out its big guns in the fight against declining CSD sales in the US.
In this regard, they are copying the brewing industry. Check out this comment on Heineken and its namesake lager. Same rules apply to Pepsi.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Walsh Whiskey Distillery has released a 17-year-old single cask, single malt Irish whiskey to mark its 17 years in business. ...
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
Edrington is to release a 40-year-old expression of its The Macallan Highland single malt Scotch whisky....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020