Blog: PepsiCo reveals 1893 Pepsi - video
Andy Morton | 21 March 2016
PepsiCo has unveiled footage of its upcoming soda, Pepsi 1893.
A video on Twitter gives substance to the reports from late last year that the company was to launch a “craft” Pepsi in an attempt to woo Millennials. The short clip shows a bartender in what looks like a cocktail lounge serve up a long-glassed 1893 with the slogan “Boldly Served Colas”. Two flavours are featured, Original Cola and Ginger Cola.
PepsiCo did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The ad also reveals that 1893 is made with kola nut extract, sparkling water and “real” sugar, the same pared-down recipe PepsiCo boasted about for its Caleb's Kola. 1893 also shares Caleb's nod to the Pepsi roots - the year is when a predecessor to Pepsi was first launched and Caleb's is named after Caleb Bradham, the inventor of the Pepsi formula.
What's different, however, is the Pepsi branding, meaning PepsiCo is bringing out its big guns in the fight against declining CSD sales in the US.
In this regard, they are copying the brewing industry. Check out this comment on Heineken and its namesake lager. Same rules apply to Pepsi.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
Casa Cuervo is set to release the second expression in its Steamship Collection....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends