Blog: PepsiCo reveals 1893 Pepsi - video
Andy Morton | 21 March 2016
PepsiCo has unveiled footage of its upcoming soda, Pepsi 1893.
A video on Twitter gives substance to the reports from late last year that the company was to launch a “craft” Pepsi in an attempt to woo Millennials. The short clip shows a bartender in what looks like a cocktail lounge serve up a long-glassed 1893 with the slogan “Boldly Served Colas”. Two flavours are featured, Original Cola and Ginger Cola.
PepsiCo did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The ad also reveals that 1893 is made with kola nut extract, sparkling water and “real” sugar, the same pared-down recipe PepsiCo boasted about for its Caleb's Kola. 1893 also shares Caleb's nod to the Pepsi roots - the year is when a predecessor to Pepsi was first launched and Caleb's is named after Caleb Bradham, the inventor of the Pepsi formula.
What's different, however, is the Pepsi branding, meaning PepsiCo is bringing out its big guns in the fight against declining CSD sales in the US.
In this regard, they are copying the brewing industry. Check out this comment on Heineken and its namesake lager. Same rules apply to Pepsi.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits