Blog: Pepsi v Coke - a week Coke'll want to forget
Olly Wehring | 17 July 2006
The difference in fortunes of fierce rivals Coca-Cola Co. and PepsiCo has looked pretty marked in the last week, especially if looked at in a global context.
In the last seven days, it’s been revealed that Coke could buy out a local bottling partner in the Philippines as sales slide, while the company has parachuted in a top executive to try and revive its struggling business in Japan. PepsiCo, meanwhile, posted a set of impressive first-half numbers last week, with its international business proving a key engine to sales and earnings growth.
While Pepsi saw profits from its international operations surge 21% and volumes rise 10%, Coke has moved to tackle problems in key overseas markets, which is especially critical in Japan which is said to generate around a fifth of the company’s profits.
Sure, a company the size of Coke could hardly expect to see each of its markets perform perfectly at all times. However, it must irk some in Atlanta that Pepsi seems to be enjoying solid growth in a number of markets, including China, Thailand and Russia.
Combine that with the sour news of an extortion plot against Coke in South Korea and it all adds up to a bit of an unsatisfactory week in the Coke empire. We await their first-half numbers next week with interest.
For the latest on Pepsi’s figures, click here.
Pepsi has progressed in Syria since a ban on its sale was lifted just under a year ago, and in the process has stolen a march on Coca-Cola which was also removed from the blacklist but is yet to capit...
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo H1 sales flatline as Q2 improves
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research