Blog: Pepsi v Coke - a week Coke'll want to forget
Olly Wehring | 17 July 2006
The difference in fortunes of fierce rivals Coca-Cola Co. and PepsiCo has looked pretty marked in the last week, especially if looked at in a global context.
In the last seven days, it’s been revealed that Coke could buy out a local bottling partner in the Philippines as sales slide, while the company has parachuted in a top executive to try and revive its struggling business in Japan. PepsiCo, meanwhile, posted a set of impressive first-half numbers last week, with its international business proving a key engine to sales and earnings growth.
While Pepsi saw profits from its international operations surge 21% and volumes rise 10%, Coke has moved to tackle problems in key overseas markets, which is especially critical in Japan which is said to generate around a fifth of the company’s profits.
Sure, a company the size of Coke could hardly expect to see each of its markets perform perfectly at all times. However, it must irk some in Atlanta that Pepsi seems to be enjoying solid growth in a number of markets, including China, Thailand and Russia.
Combine that with the sour news of an extortion plot against Coke in South Korea and it all adds up to a bit of an unsatisfactory week in the Coke empire. We await their first-half numbers next week with interest.
For the latest on Pepsi’s figures, click here.
Pepsi has progressed in Syria since a ban on its sale was lifted just under a year ago, and in the process has stolen a march on Coca-Cola which was also removed from the blacklist but is yet to capit...
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- just Five Years Ago - The Birth of Accolade Wines
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research