Blog: Pepsi v Coke - a week Coke'll want to forget
Olly Wehring | 17 July 2006
The difference in fortunes of fierce rivals Coca-Cola Co. and PepsiCo has looked pretty marked in the last week, especially if looked at in a global context.
In the last seven days, it’s been revealed that Coke could buy out a local bottling partner in the Philippines as sales slide, while the company has parachuted in a top executive to try and revive its struggling business in Japan. PepsiCo, meanwhile, posted a set of impressive first-half numbers last week, with its international business proving a key engine to sales and earnings growth.
While Pepsi saw profits from its international operations surge 21% and volumes rise 10%, Coke has moved to tackle problems in key overseas markets, which is especially critical in Japan which is said to generate around a fifth of the company’s profits.
Sure, a company the size of Coke could hardly expect to see each of its markets perform perfectly at all times. However, it must irk some in Atlanta that Pepsi seems to be enjoying solid growth in a number of markets, including China, Thailand and Russia.
Combine that with the sour news of an extortion plot against Coke in South Korea and it all adds up to a bit of an unsatisfactory week in the Coke empire. We await their first-half numbers next week with interest.
For the latest on Pepsi’s figures, click here.
Pepsi has progressed in Syria since a ban on its sale was lifted just under a year ago, and in the process has stolen a march on Coca-Cola which was also removed from the blacklist but is yet to capit...
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report